FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

One-touch window swapping

Moderator: MiRai

<<

nexxusofa178

Post Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:45 pm

One-touch window swapping

Lax,

I know we briefly chatted about this last week and was wondering if you figured out a simple way to do this.

To refresh your memory - I want to be able to instant-swap my windows with one key AND I'd like to be able to click in either window without any kind of auto-swapping occurring.

More details:

I have 1 computer with 2 monitors in a dual-screen setup.
I'm boxing 2 instances of EQ2.
I have the simple window layout enabled from the wizard which has my primary screen taking up all of my primary monitor.
And my secondary instance of EQ2 is on the entire screen of my secondary monitor.
Currently, I have each instance configured with a SLOT ACTIVATE key. I then have the 2 slot activate keys tied to 2 button on my mouse. I hit the first button on my mouse to swap to my other window. Then I click the other button to swap back.

I would like consolidate this into just 1 hotkey so I can tie it to a single mouse button to swap back and forth. Lax suggested I use the always-on hotkey for "Next Window" and swapping set to "Always" instead of "only when I use a slot activate key". And that did work. However, I like to be able to just move my mouse pointer over to my secondary screen if clicking simple stuff like group invites or quest rewards. With the "next window" and "always swap" setting enabled, when I click on secondary monitor it instantly swaps which I don't like.

Please let me know if this is do-able. And as always, I appreciate your help.
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:16 pm

Re: One-touch window swapping

Well, technically this can be done for *2* windows with a single Mapped Key. This same method can't be used as-is for 3 windows, but can still work with some additional planning.

I should have thought of this when we talked about it before. ;)

Here's what the Mapped Key entails:
1. Window Focus Action, to focus the next window
2. Window State Action, to instantly move Window:Current to Background state
3. Window State Action, to instantly move Window:All w/o Current to Foreground state

It's not too tough to set up and can be done in the existing "Next window" Mapped Key. (which already has #1, you just add #2 and #3).

In fact, here it is completed.
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<Box xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema">
  <ObjectType>ISBoxer_Toolkit.Configs.KeyMaps.MappedKey</ObjectType>
  <SerializedObject>&lt;?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?&gt;
&lt;MappedKey xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema"&gt;
  &lt;Name&gt;Next window&lt;/Name&gt;
  &lt;Description&gt;This key can be used to rotate to the next window (in Slot order). Just set a Hotkey above, and Export.&lt;/Description&gt;
  &lt;SendNextClickBlockLocal&gt;false&lt;/SendNextClickBlockLocal&gt;
  &lt;ManualLoad&gt;false&lt;/ManualLoad&gt;
  &lt;ResetTimer&gt;0.1&lt;/ResetTimer&gt;
  &lt;ResetType&gt;Never&lt;/ResetType&gt;
  &lt;Mode&gt;OnRelease&lt;/Mode&gt;
  &lt;Steps&gt;
    &lt;Step&gt;
      &lt;Stick&gt;0&lt;/Stick&gt;
      &lt;Stop&gt;false&lt;/Stop&gt;
      &lt;Actions&gt;
        &lt;MappedKeyAction xsi:type="WindowFocusAction"&gt;
          &lt;Window&gt;-next&lt;/Window&gt;
          &lt;Computer /&gt;
        &lt;/MappedKeyAction&gt;
        &lt;MappedKeyAction xsi:type="WindowStateAction"&gt;
          &lt;Target&gt;self&lt;/Target&gt;
          &lt;RegionType&gt;Background&lt;/RegionType&gt;
          &lt;Action&gt;Fast&lt;/Action&gt;
        &lt;/MappedKeyAction&gt;
        &lt;MappedKeyAction xsi:type="WindowStateAction"&gt;
          &lt;Target&gt;all other&lt;/Target&gt;
          &lt;RegionType&gt;Foreground&lt;/RegionType&gt;
          &lt;Action&gt;Fast&lt;/Action&gt;
        &lt;/MappedKeyAction&gt;
      &lt;/Actions&gt;
    &lt;/Step&gt;
  &lt;/Steps&gt;
&lt;/MappedKey&gt;</SerializedObject>
</Box>

You can click Select All (button in upper right corner of the Code box), copy it, select some Key Map in the top pane (e.g. "Always On"), right click on "Mapped Keys" in the bottom left pane and select Paste Mapped Key from Clipboard. Enjoy :)
<<

nexxusofa178

Post Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:37 pm

Hey Lax,

Sorry I'm just now replying, but I finally had some time to try your fix out today. And I'm glad to say that it worked perfectly! I've got the razer naga mouse and I can toggle switch back and forth with just one mouse button. I can also click in either screen without any auto-swapping, which is just what i ordered.

I know this was more of a luxury request than one that was a serious problem. With that being said, I "extra-appreciate" the time you spent coming up with a solution for me. Thanks very much, you rock as always!

Nexxus
<<

nexxusofa178

Post Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:32 am

Hi Lax,

I started over with a brand new ISBoxer config and loaded this hotkey that you created for me before. I still have the same exact setup running 2 EQ2 accounts on 1 computer with dual screen monitors. If you read the details in my original post above, everything is exactly the same except for the slot activate keys.

The hotkey you created still works as well for swapping, however it will never move my primary screen over to my secondary monitor now. When I press the hotkey, it swaps my secondary EQ2 screen onto my primary monitor, but i can't see my primary EQ2 screen as it's in the background. It's like it puts the secondary EQ2 screen on TOP of my primary EQ2 screen to where I can't see it.

How can we edit it to where it swaps my primary screen over to my secondary monitor when using this hotkey? I think the reason it worked before is I still had a slot activate key configured in my config. I would usually hit it for the initial swap, then your hotkey would work after that.

Let me know if I need to explain it better or provide any other testing for you.
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:12 am

Usually when people ask me this it's because they broke the window layout through the regions editor ;) Specifically, it's usually from having Slot 1's Home Region be the same as the Active Region, when they really meant for Slot 1 to not HAVE a home region; it should be configured as the Roaming Slot for your Swap Group.

Let me know if that helps, otherwise show me your config and I'll take a peek
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:33 am

Also, in the current update of ISBoxer (check the About box in the Help menu) there's a new Swapping option that might replace your need for this mapped key :)
<<

nexxusofa178

Post Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:50 am

Ok, I went ahead and created a new config from scratch this morning just to rule out me breaking the layout editor (which certainly could've happened). When doing the wizard, I selected the "full screen per character swapping" option and left the options as default.

I then pasted your mapped key from below into my "next window" keymap and set the hotkey as CTRL-SHIFT-Q.

I then edited the window layout and set the "Swap hot character to main region" as "only when I press a slot activate hotkey" - this way I can click in either window without it swapping automatically, but rather it only swaps when I press CTRL-SHIFT-Q.

At this point, I fired up my character set and logged in. I pressed CTRL-SHIFT-Q and it swapped, but it didn't put my main character over on my secondary monitor; it just hid it behind my secondary character who's now on my main screen. So the problem is still there. I can swap back and forth with the hotkey 20 times and it never puts my main character on the secondary monitor.

Here's my config to take a look: http://www.privatepaste.com/8483dfb02c

Now to take it a step further and provide additional info from what I found before. In my config, I went to my character sets options and configured a slot activate key for my secondary character. I set "hotkey to switch to this character" as "CTRL-SHIFT-P". When I start my character set now and press CTRL-SHIFT-P, it swaps like it should. My primary character goes to my secondary monitor and vice versa like it should and like i want it to. Furthermore, after doing 1 swap like this, I can then use my original next window keymap and it works fine too. I can press CTRL-SHIFT-Q and it swaps back and forth perfectly. It will also work perfectly for as long as I continue to play. But once I exit out and go back in, I can't swap with it without first doing to slot activate hotkey.

I'm not sure what I have set up wrong, but it's probably something simple. I also tried that new swapping option you mentioned in the current update, but couldn't get it working either. I tried to configure window layout with "swap hot character to main region" to "only when I press the swap hotkey". But I could never get a swap hotkey to swap them at all. I'm assuming that's what you meant by the new swapping option.

Bottom line, I just have to do 1 extra click when starting to play, after that it works fine, so it's not that big a deal. But is your keymap you created still the way you'd recommend I do one-touch window swapping to where I can still click in both windows without having it auto-swap? Or should I set this up differently now?

(sorry for such a long, verbose post)

Return to General