FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

[WoW] SSD + IS Boxer

Moderator: MiRai

<<

Ualaa

Grandmaster Guidesmith

Post Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:13 pm

[WoW] SSD + IS Boxer

I was lucky enough to receive an SSD for Christmas.

I copied the entire WoW folder from C:\Users\Public\Games\World of Warcraft to F:\World of Warcraft.
I went into Game Configuration for IS Boxer, and changed the path to the SSD.

A couple of questions.

1) I'm using Vista 64-bit, Home Premium; will the game patch fine, for a folder other then "Public", if I just delete the original folder on C drive?

2) Is there any benefit to migrating my Inner Space + IS Boxer etc, to the SSD?
Streaming in 720p HD: www.twitch.tv/ualaa
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:45 pm

Re: [WoW] SSD + IS Boxer

1. Yes. I believe the game will update its registry key when you run it from the new location, and there would only be a problem otherwise if the game was in the Program Files folder (which has been write protected by UAC since Vista)

2. Putting Inner Space and ISBoxer there won't do much because loading from disk only happens at launch time and when you Export (or otherwise reload). Your biggest benefit is from having the WoW data folders on the SSD. A lot of people prefer to keep the non-data parts of WoW on a normal HDD, and then keep the Data folder on SSD, then use a symlink/junction to point to the new data folder location. This will help reduce the number of writes that will be performed on the SSD for your configuration, etc -- this is because in theory the SSD is limited in the number of writes that can be done (though I'm not sure I've seen a study that shows they don't last as long as an HDD in actual use)
<<

Ualaa

Grandmaster Guidesmith

Post Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:48 pm

Re: [WoW] SSD + IS Boxer

Thanks for the info.
Streaming in 720p HD: www.twitch.tv/ualaa

Return to General