FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Feature Request: A smarter way to copy/paste

Moderator: MiRai

<<

alanwj

Post Wed Jun 28, 2023 5:39 pm

Feature Request: A smarter way to copy/paste

I often want to create a lot of mapped keys.

Do Foo 1
- Do Bar 1 in SomeMap
- Do Baz 1 in SomeMap

Do Foo 2
- Do Bar 2 in SomeMap
- Do Baz 2 in SomeMap

Do Foo 3
- Do Bar 3 in SomeMap
- Do Baz 3 in SomeMap

... etc ...

So I set up the first one, then make a copy. So I get "Copy of Do Thing 1". Then I rename to remove "Copy of" and edit it all to be 2 throughout. Then I repeat that N times. It is very tedious and error prone.

It would be really nice to be able to create a template like:

Do Foo {SYM}
- Do Bar {SYM} in SomeMap
- Do Baz {SYM} in SomeMap

Then do a smart copy/paste that lets me specific a set of symbols that paste iterates through, creating a copy for each symbol and replacing {SYM} in the template.

Or any other similar contruct. The point being to remove the need to manually create and edit N things that differ only by a symbol.
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Wed Jun 28, 2023 7:03 pm

Re: Feature Request: A smarter way to copy/paste

There is already a construct similar to what you're describing via the Mapped Key Wizard. For example, "Straight Key Broadcast" or "Assist and Broadcast" allow you to create many mapped keys at once with minor differences. There are several other types of Mapped Keys available via the wizard. If something like you're asking was [already / to be] built into ISBoxer 1, it would be most likely be in the Mapped Key Wizard.

Beyond that, I might recommend working with the XML directly instead of using the tedious ISBoxer Toolkit interface to make such changes. Many XML tools exist which may allow you to make these changes.
<<

alanwj

Post Wed Jun 28, 2023 7:11 pm

Re: Feature Request: A smarter way to copy/paste

For the very specific cases that the Mapped Key Wizard covers, it is great. But I rarely need to do any of those specific things.

Working directly with the XML is a good idea. It does not sound difficult to create a python script that could take a template and generate a pile of XML that can be copy/pasted into ISBoxer.

Return to General