FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Malwarebytes blocked Isboxer and Inner Space completely?

Moderator: MiRai

<<

Serpex

Post Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:07 am

Malwarebytes blocked Isboxer and Inner Space completely?

Hey Guys,

im sorry to bother you but im totally new to Multiboxing and Isboxer. After a few of the super tutorial Videos, i managed to get my Isboxer running with Innerspace... but as soon as i log in with Inner Space my 5 Accounts to world of warcraft, my Malwarebytes automatically puts Inner Space in Quarantine because of "Malware.Ransom.Agent.Generic".

So im a bit worried now that i wont be able to multibox anymore and im scared if isboxer or inner space are "dangerous" for my PC or my personal informations (such as passwords etc)...

Can i trust both programs? and if so, why does my malwarebytes program put it in quarantine?

Im thankful for any help and wish all of you a nice week :)

Best regards,

Serpex
<<

bob

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:47 am

Re: Malwarebytes blocked Isboxer and Inner Space completely?

InnerSpace and ISBoxer do not contain viruses. It would not be good business sense to be going around distributing viruses if we wanted to stay in business.

Antivirus software uses two main methods of determining viruses. Signatures and Heuristics.
A Signature is a pattern. Sometimes as simple as a hash of the application, other times, a particular sequence of bytes (usually several sequences).
Heuristics is a "guessing" engine, which uses knowledge of API calls, and sometimes a particular behavior, in order to determine likely candidates.

Both of these can result in what is called False Postives, where something is incorrectly detected as having a virus, but it doesn't. This happens often enough that you can even report false positives to MalwareBytes themselves.

At the end of the day, you will have to make your own risk assessment, but most of use simply set an exclusion, and carry on.
<<

Serpex

Post Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:10 am

thanks a lot for your reply... im just a bit concerned about all my personal information but im totally interested in using isboxer for leveling up my 5 Warlocks in classic.

i know there are a lot of ppl using isboxer without any problems... but im a bit nooby in terms of malware and viruses and who to trust.
<<

bob

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:23 am

We have zero interest in your personal information.

The problem is that we could tell you until we are blue in the face, that there is nothing nefarious in the application, it just does what it says on the box. The problem is that you have this other application you do trust telling you something different. So, why do you trust Malwarebytes? You've written the code for it?, You believe in what they have on their product page? Reputation (someone presumably told you about it or did you just google it)? I realise as a first experience, a detection by your preferred antivirus engine is not great, however it can happen to the major software houses as well, so we are not alone, that is why we ask for an alternate opinion, as below.

You can use https://virustotal.com and upload the file in question (after regaining access to it), and it will be checked against many different antivirus engines (that are kept up to date).
It may appear fast if the hash of the file matches one checked previously. That is just resource efficiency. i.e. no need to check your particular file if the hash matches a previously checked file.
The below check on InnerSpace.exe (I've done both the x86 and x64 versions), shows that the x86 is currently being picked up on 1 engine of 63 only, for some ad injector. This is also a false positive. It is also a limited use engine.
Interestingly Malwarebytes is not picking it up for any reason (bottom of the pic, so I'd have to wonder if your install of that is up to date.

https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/7a5 ... /detection

Return to General