FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

CPU strategy Wizard challenge

Moderator: MiRai

<<

sparvath

Post Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:25 pm

CPU strategy Wizard challenge

Hiya,

I am not certain its an error but I have been having a problem since we got a few patches

I normally run my toons with CPU strategy "Select no CPU's, let the game do it" but now it only wants to run in "Select all CPUs with every window"

For most its not really a problem but I get 5 x wow-window crash whenever I enter Mechagon. I have had all (minus IS-boxer and EMA) addons turned off. Disabled Bullguard Security and tried setting graphics to 1 on all.

On lucky days I can land them one at a time but the second I move an inch its close, close, close to desktop.

I have also noticed that some of my (way to many teams) wont startup. Doesnt bother me much since most layout is the same so I just load one of the 17 of 23 teams that work and close the popup window when entering game.

But the Mechagon part bugs me and I am down to the part with CPU strategy.

And I have of course right clicked on team and tried CPU strategy Wizard and use the drop down menu there. But it doesnt save the info. When I reopen ISBoxer toolkit its back to "Select all CPUs with every window"

Hope this makes sense
<<

bob

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:13 pm

Re: CPU strategy Wizard challenge

sparvath wrote:I normally run my toons with CPU strategy "Select no CPU's, let the game do it" but now it only wants to run in "Select all CPUs with every window"
These two options are effectively the same thing. One is explicit, the other is implicit.

sparvath wrote:And I have of course right clicked on team and tried CPU strategy Wizard and use the drop down menu there. But it doesnt save the info. When I reopen ISBoxer toolkit its back to "Select all CPUs with every window"
The CPU Wizard does not show you what your current selection is, because if you change each slots settings individually it does not have anyway to show that. It just shows you options you can select to apply.
If you want to see what is currently applied, you need to look at the performance tab of each slot in the character set.

sparvath wrote:I have also noticed that some of my (way to many teams) wont startup. Doesnt bother me much since most layout is the same so I just load one of the 17 of 23 teams that work and close the popup window when entering game.
This will prevent a certain things from working. Usually Assist and Follow.

sparvath wrote:For most its not really a problem but I get 5 x wow-window crash whenever I enter Mechagon. I have had all (minus IS-boxer and EMA) addons turned off. Disabled Bullguard Security and tried setting graphics to 1 on all.
On lucky days I can land them one at a time but the second I move an inch its close, close, close to desktop.
A Compatibility diagnostic is where it is at for this kind of thing.
<<

sparvath

Post Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:58 pm

Thx for taking the time to reply

bob wrote:
sparvath wrote:I normally run my toons with CPU strategy "Select no CPU's, let the game do it" but now it only wants to run in "Select all CPUs with every window"
These two options are effectively the same thing. One is explicit, the other is implicit.

But that does not answer why I cant choose the one with no CPU. I even tried to make a testteam in ISBoxer toolkit and it also revert to "select all CPUs".

sparvath wrote:And I have of course right clicked on team and tried CPU strategy Wizard and use the drop down menu there. But it doesnt save the info. When I reopen ISBoxer toolkit its back to "Select all CPUs with every window"
The CPU Wizard does not show you what your current selection is, because if you change each slots settings individually it does not have anyway to show that. It just shows you options you can select to apply.
If you want to see what is currently applied, you need to look at the performance tab of each slot in the character set.

sparvath wrote:I have also noticed that some of my (way to many teams) wont startup. Doesnt bother me much since most layout is the same so I just load one of the 17 of 23 teams that work and close the popup window when entering game.
This will prevent a certain things from working. Usually Assist and Follow.

Not a problem but would like wow start when I click on the team in Innerspace

sparvath wrote:For most its not really a problem but I get 5 x wow-window crash whenever I enter Mechagon. I have had all (minus IS-boxer and EMA) addons turned off. Disabled Bullguard Security and tried setting graphics to 1 on all.
A Compatibility diagnostic is where it is at for this kind of thing.

Here is my pastebin https://pastebin.com/zVLfAcgd
<<

sparvath

Post Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:59 am

No chance for help?

I dont buy that select no cpu and select all cpu is the same. I have just tried setting it to No strategy and Round Robin and they also revert to Select all cpu and I am pretty certain that is where my problem lies. Because I could access Mechagon easily with No CPU selected and my hardware monitor showed the gameload spread evenly.

So how do I get Toolkit to save the CPU strategy to my specification?
<<

MiRai

Vibrant Videographer

Post Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:09 pm

sparvath wrote:I dont buy that select no cpu and select all cpu is the same.

You can open the Task Manager, and on the Details tab, find the game executable(s), right-click on them to access their CPU affinity, and then view what's listed there. You will see that "Select all CPUs..." and "Select no CPUs..." assign the exact same cores/threads to the exeuctable(s). Unfortunately, I couldn't begin to guess why you'd see differing behavior between the two options, since Windows sees them as exactly the same.

sparvath wrote:I have just tried setting it to No strategy and Round Robin and they also revert to Select all cpu and I am pretty certain that is where my problem lies.

bob already covered this in his response: The CPU Strategy Wizard does not read what is currently set on a particular Character Set, and instead auto-defaults to a specific choice.

In other words, if you brought up the CPU Strategy Wizard and it auto-defaulted to "Select all CPUs...," but you chose to use the round-robin preset instead, the next time you start up the CPU Strategy Wizard it will simply auto-default to "Select all CPUs..." and not reflect your previous choice of round-robin.

sparvath wrote:So how do I get Toolkit to save the CPU strategy to my specification?

There is no reason to think that it's not saving, and you can view this in one of two areas:

1) On the Performance tab under each Slot of your Character Set
2) Through the Task Manager (details above)

The only reason this may be slightly confusing is that ISBoxer starts its core count at "1," whereas Windows has always considered the first core to be "Core 0." So, in ISBoxer, if you manually assign cores 1, 3, and 5 to a particular Slot, it will display as being assigned to Core 0, Core 2, and Core 4 in Windows.
<<

bob

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:06 pm

Sorry, must have missed the last update.
Seeing as MiRai has covered all the points I covered before, I'll respond to your crash and what I think you need to do.

There isn't anything else obvious, so if you have already deleted/rebuilt the game cache, and reset the WTF's, then I think you will need to uninstall Bullguard to properly test if that is causing the issue, as it would be the next thing. Why uninstall? Because disabling Antivirus/Security suites doesn't fully stop it from interacting with your system. Why not? Because it installs filter drivers into the low level Windows API, so all I/O has to travel via the AV/SS software. Despite disabling, this redirect of your I/O subsystem still occurs, and it still scans and interferes. For this reason the only truly valid test of whether AV/SS is causing a problem is to uninstall it, test, verify whether the problem still exists (or not), and if desired reinstall it. Is this safe? Yes. You usually have a firewall on your router, and you also usually have the Windows firewall running. Windows Defender will also take over when you remove 3rd party AV/SS solutions. If you don't trust those mechanisms, don't go downloading dodgy torrents or surfing nefarious internet sites while you are "unprotected" (although not really).

Return to General