FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

I wanted a skatebaord and got a space shuttle

Moderator: MiRai

<<

joeboxeris

Post Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:35 pm

I wanted a skatebaord and got a space shuttle

Hello All,

Over the last few days I have had numerous wins in my battle with ISBoxer setup for Everquest. The problem is the setbacks, speedbumps and outright beatings experienced at the hands of this program have me at the point I now need to make this post in hopes that you all can help. I don't normally give in to asking for help so quickly, especially when there are so many videos, write ups and explanations regarding ISBoxer out there to be had. I've gone through a bunch of these and most had some tidbit that got me a little further, but none gave me what I am really after.

So you know, I tried to explain it to my wife, what I was doing and why. She is a wonderful woman, extremely smart, loving and supportive, but when I tried to explain Everquest and my incessant desire to multibox, she replied not with words, but with a look. The look that says "Honey I love you, but you have lost whatever marbles you had left rolling around in your head".

Sorry, on to the point.

ISBoxer is simply amazing. I'm pretty sure if I worked at it long enough I could have it cooking breakfast. Heck, I could just sleep in and let it deal with my boss everyday. It has everything. But that, for me, is exactly the problem.

The only experience I've had multiboxing prior to this was years back using CloneKey for WoW on my Mac. It was incredibly functional and simple. Open two instances of WoW, click the window I wanted to add for key presses, bring the main window back to the front, and I was off and running. I hit the 1 key and bammo, so did the character in the other window. So simple that even my redneck upbringing couldn't screw it up.

Now that I've a little time to spend on such things, I went looking for a new game and found Everquest. No it's not new, but it's new to me. I fell in love with it straight away. Huge game with tons of places to explore and things to enjoy, but where were all the people? Most of the people I saw were bunched up in small packs running around at the speed of light, obliterating everything while matched nearly step for step. Aha! Boxers! So, they multibox in EQ. Okay, I know how to do that.

At this point I went googling far and wide. I found a few tools and tried them. No dice. What I expected and what I got were vastly different. The programs I found require a fair amount of knowledge and experience in coding, programming or whatever you want to call it. Not my cup of tea. I still look at the keyboard when I type if that tells you anything.

Then I found ISBoxer.

"Bro, do you even multibox?!" Umm, no, but I want to.

"Have you ever wanted more crappy loot?" Well, not crappy, but more, definitely more.

"Have you ever wanted more money in game?" Does the Pope wear a pointy hat? Heck yea I want more money!

"Have you ever wanted to be more attractive?" Whoa, hang on a damn minute. Hell, who am I kidding. Yes, make me sexy!

Nuff said. SIGN ME UP! Seven day trial? No way, Jose. I'm all in. I'm going to be sexy! Paid for, downloaded, let's start this puppy up!

Needless to say, this video I was watching had me sucked in like a sinner at a bible beater convention.

Watch a video. Thank you Mr. MiRai. Opening program. Mmm hmm, yes, names, file paths, watch a video, WIZARD! I like wizards. Opening EQ, awesome, excitement building. I'm going to beat the crap out of something, can't wait.

Insert screechy needle on a record sound here. What the hell you mean incorrect password? It's the same password I've typed a hundred times. Wait, is CAPS lock on? No. Dammit.

This is where I started to think maybe, just maybe, I'd fallen victim to what would I would call excellent advertising. Maybe this was going to be like the other attempts I'd made at making multiboxing easy. Screw that, I paid money for this. And I am going to be sexy just as soon as I get this thing working.

The problems I've experienced are nothing new from what I can find in the forums and elsewhere. Passwords don't work at log in, mouse pointers going all over the place, mouse pointers on both screens (my bard took off and got his face beat in), mouse pointer disappears, my character looks at the ground each and every freakin time I use mouselook, hotkeys turn on attack and then turn it back off again. I'm sure you get the picture.

I'm not going so far as to say that I'm experiencing buyer's remorse, not yet, but I am going through something. Not sure what it is called, but a shrink could probably throw out some names.

All of these problems I've managed to get fixed, or almost fixed, and in the process broke something else. I've cleared, cleared, and cleared again, because like Mr. MiRai said, don't be scared. Each time hoping that this wizard that was hired to help people like myself would somehow do something different than the last time. Nope. You know, whoever hired this guy needs to fire his ass.

Today I even deleted the whole damn thing and started over from dead set zero.

So, now I am here, pleading with you fine folks to help me get rid of all the awesomeness that is ISBoxer and just make the damn 1 key press the 1 key on my off screen so my bard puts the pointy end of his swords into what my SK has so professionally placed in front of him.

That's all I want. No auto follow, colorful click boxes, 48 mages throwing snow cones all at the same time, jump (why in the hell is that even in there?), no nothing at all other than keys 1-6 being pressed and translating to the same keys being pressed on the other window. Oh, and ONE !%@$#* mouse pointer!

I give props to Mr. MiRai, whoever you are. Great video you put up for the new folks. Well spoken and simple. It did help get me pointed in the right direction, but the only problem is, someone can be told where the cookies are, but if they can't open the jar, well, then they don't get any cookies. I want some cookies, and to be sexy like the video said. Maybe not the best analogy comparing ISBoxer to cookies, but it works in my head.

I am more than happy to post my current setup, but all it consists of is what that bastard wizard wants, not me.

Thank you for taking the time to read my lamentations. Sorry that I got a little carried away. If there is one of you that has the inclination to spend a few calories and tell me how to turn off the 99% of ISBoxer I don't need I would be greatly appreciative.

Best Regards,

joeboxeris
<<

bob

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:28 pm

Re: I wanted a skatebaord and got a space shuttle

That's a really long spiel, and lovely that you wrote it, but it does detract from the desire to help because it is so damned hard to locate the actual problem. I almost lost the will to live about halfway down.

But enough said.

The mouse is usually out of position because.
  1. Your window layout is using different resolutions per screen. This might be for a variety of reasons, but normally because you disabled swapping in the Wizard, and inadvertently disabled the feature that forces the game resolutions to be the same.
  2. You've made a Window Layout that is using different aspect ratios, whether by turning of the keep aspect ratio option in the wizard, or by making a manual layout.
  3. You aren't loading your game correctly via InnerSpace, i.e. Right click InnerSpace icon in the system tray, select ISBoxer Character Sets -> name of your character set.
  4. I forgot what I wrote here before I then lost if with some badly timed CTRL+Z's

But, you should probably provide a copy of your config so we can see what is going on in it.

If might also be worth getting the game state. While in game open the ISBoxer control panel (CTRL+SHIFT+ALT+G), go to the debug tab, select Capture State, paste it at http://pastebin.com and provide the link to it here. CTRL+SHIFT+ALT+G to close the ISBoxer control panel again.

Also, the default setup will just configure the keys 1 to = to be broadcast to your characters. If you want you can turn these off by going to Key Maps, Non-Combat, and then deleting the mapped keys you do not want (assuming you are using the "invisible" option for the standard broadcasting keys in the Quick Setup Wizard).
<<

joeboxeris

Post Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:58 pm

Re: I wanted a skatebaord and got a space shuttle

Dear Mr. Bob,

Thank you for your reply.

I think I found the problem. The problem is the wizard. At least for me, it's the wizard. I'd surmise that for most he's helpful because he does all these things that people would normally want in ISBoxer in their initial setup.

For more on the wizard, go here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCrj9Ysyjo

For me, however, it's way over the top. All I want is a few key presses.

As you smartly deduced, yes, I do believe I was likely inserting the very problems I was running into, both with displays and mouses (mice?). I'm not sure if the window layout wizard is the same wizard I so dislike for the initial setup, but either way, he tries to give me a bunch of stuff I don't want. I've managed to go trial and error through the manual config and have gotten exactly what I wanted with my displays.

I am taking the same route with the keys I want to use (number keys only) and working towards what I think to be an eventual blissful experience. Wizard be damned.

Once I am finished and have everything where I want it, I will post the config. Not so much that anyone would ever want to use it, but maybe so it explains what I really wanted.

Thanks for your time.

Best Regards,

joeboxeris

Return to General