FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Show \\.\DISPLAY[#] ?

Moderator: MiRai

<<

bgarisn

Post Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:06 pm

Show \\.\DISPLAY[#] ?

When looking at the Window Layouts I have created, I noticed that in the description of one of my layouts that does NOT work, it says:

Code:
This Window Layout features a full screen-ish main window on \\.\DISPLAY5 and the rest on \\.\DISPLAY1. Swapping enabled. Does not include a home for every window. Home regions will not have the same aspect ratio as the main region. Leaves space for the Windows taskbar.

I compared it to a layout that does work and it has:

Code:
This Window Layout features a full screen-ish main window on \\.\DISPLAY9 and the rest on \\.\DISPLAY5. Swapping enabled. Does not include a home for every window. Home regions will not have the same aspect ratio as the main region. Leaves space for the Windows taskbar.

I get the error:

Code:
World of Warcraft was unable to start up 3D acceleration.

I am guessing this is because the display #'s have changed. When I change the numbers in the XML file from \\.\DISPLAY5 -> \\.\DISPLAY9 and \\.DISPLAY1 -> \\.\DISPLAY5, it launches my character team.

So my question is how do I get the Window Layout Wizard to update to the new numbers when it is used to generate/create a new layout?

Thanks!
Last edited by bgarisn on Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

MiRai

Vibrant Videographer

Post Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:58 pm

Re: Show \\.\DISPLAY[#] ?

bgarisn wrote:So my question is how do I get the Window Layout Wizard to update to the new numbers when it is used to generate/create a new layout?

Simply running the Window Layout Wizard pulls the information from the operating system, and so you would immediately see an updated display number if it changed (but it doesn't change on its own without a hardware/driver change). However, maybe it's done when ISBoxer is first started, and if that was the case, then you'd need to restart ISBoxer for the information to be re-read from the OS.

With that said, I'll assume you're trying to apply an existing layout from the drop-down when re-creating your Window Layout, and expecting that the layout of the regions apply to the "new" display. Unfortunately, it doesn't work like that, and picking an existing layout from the drop-down will instead simply assign it, along with all of its old, and incorrect, display properties, to the Character Set.
<<

bgarisn

Post Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:02 pm

Hey MiRai, thanks for the quick reply.

I managed to attach a paste of a trimmed down version of my profile, but one that has the characters, character sets, and window layouts that I was talking about.

MiRai wrote:Simply running the Window Layout Wizard pulls the information from the operating system, and so you would immediately see an updated display number if it changed (but it doesn't change on its own without a hardware/driver change).

That is what I thought too, but it seems that the window layout only works when I use the PvE-Team-1 layout, which has the DeviceName(s) as \\.\DISPLAY9 and \\.\DISPLAY5. Whenever I run the Window Layout Wizard, it uses 'new' values of \\.\DISPLAY5 and \\.\DISPLAY1, which do not seem to work (i.e. subsequent WoW windows other than the 1st result in the 3D error mentioned previously).

MiRai wrote:However, maybe it's done when ISBoxer is first started, and if that was the case, then you'd need to restart ISBoxer for the information to be re-read from the OS.

Yeah I have tried closing completely out of both InnerSpace and the ISBoxer Toolkit, but neither seem to have an effect :(

Is there a way in say like the Device Manager (or something) to verify what the correct values should be?

I'll keep looking to see if I can find where it's pulling that from in the mean time.

Appreciate all the help!
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:23 am

Are you on a laptop that has both dedicated NVIDIA and integrated Intel gpu? If that's the case, then it isn't because the display names are wrong, and the discussion should go another direction.
<<

bob

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:19 pm

One thing that popped up yesterday was a person having a similar issue when the config-charname.wtf files had a set gxWindow="#" in them, and their working characters had 1 (in place of the #) and their non working characters had a 2. May be worth checking.
<<

bgarisn

Post Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:19 pm

lax wrote:Are you on a laptop that has both dedicated NVIDIA and integrated Intel gpu? If that's the case, then it isn't because the display names are wrong, and the discussion should go another direction.

No I am not on a laptop. I am on a desktop with 2x GTX 1070s, which I have set in the NVidia control panel to 'activate all displays' (Under 3D Settings -> Configure SLI, Surround, PHysX) I remember having issues when there was a big update that NVidia did, but I fixed it for my main layout and didn't think differently.

Now with BFA coming out, I wanted to try some of the other layouts to get a feel for them and how they work (implementing the dxNothing is something I have yet to do). That's when I noticed that the wizard was giving me different display numbers than the layout that was working for my main team.

bob wrote:One thing that popped up yesterday was a person having a similar issue when the config-charname.wtf files had a set gxWindow="#" in them, and their working characters had 1 (in place of the #) and their non working characters had a 2. May be worth checking.

Thanks for the advice. I'll check into that this evening.
<<

bgarisn

Post Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:56 pm

So I did the following tonight:

1. Reinstalled ISBoxer -> No effect

2. Reinstalled Video Drive (clean install) -> No effect

I tried selecting another layout (that was different than the one I had previously) and I was getting the same 3D error. Only when I went into the profile XML and changed

Code:
<DeviceName>\\.\DISPLAY5</DeviceName>
<DeviceName>\\.\DISPLAY1</DeviceName>                   

to

Code:
<DeviceName>\\.\DISPLAY9</DeviceName>

in

Code:
<WindowLayout>
    <UserScreenSet>
      <AllScreens>
        <UserScreen>
          <Bounds>
            <Width>2560</Width>
            <Height>1440</Height>
          </Bounds>
          <WorkingArea>
            <Top>40</Top>
            <Width>2560</Width>
            <Height>1400</Height>
          </WorkingArea>
          <Primary>true</Primary>
          <DeviceName>\\.\DISPLAY9</DeviceName>
          <DPIScale>100</DPIScale>
        </UserScreen>
        <UserScreen>
          <Bounds>
            <Left>2560</Left>
            <Width>2560</Width>
            <Height>1440</Height>
          </Bounds>
          <WorkingArea>
            <Left>2560</Left>
            <Width>2560</Width>
            <Height>1440</Height>
          </WorkingArea>
          <DPIScale>100</DPIScale>
        </UserScreen>
      </AllScreens>
      <Name>&lt;Window Layout-specified&gt;</Name>
    </UserScreenSet>
    <Name>PvE-Team-1</Name>
    <Description>This Window Layout features a full screen-ish main window on \\.\DISPLAY9 and the rest on \\.\DISPLAY5. Swapping enabled. Does not include a home for every window. Home regions will not have the same aspect ratio as the main region. Leaves space for the Windows taskbar.</Description>
    <InstantSwap>true</InstantSwap>
    <SwapMode>AlwaysForGames</SwapMode>
    <RolloverStyle>
      <Enabled>false</Enabled>
      <Scale>1.5</Scale>
      <Rollup>false</Rollup>
      <Frames>10</Frames>
    </RolloverStyle>
    <Regions>
      <Region>
        <Rect>
          <Top>40</Top>
          <Width>2560</Width>
          <Height>1400</Height>
        </Rect>
      </Region>
      <Region>
        <CharacterSetSlot>2</CharacterSetSlot>
        <Rect>
          <Left>2560</Left>
          <Top>720</Top>
          <Width>1280</Width>
          <Height>720</Height>
        </Rect>
      </Region>
      <Region>
        <CharacterSetSlot>3</CharacterSetSlot>
        <Rect>
          <Left>3840</Left>
          <Top>720</Top>
          <Width>1280</Width>
          <Height>720</Height>
        </Rect>
      </Region>
      <Region>
        <CharacterSetSlot>4</CharacterSetSlot>
        <Rect>
          <Left>2560</Left>
          <Width>1280</Width>
          <Height>720</Height>
        </Rect>
      </Region>
      <Region>
        <CharacterSetSlot>5</CharacterSetSlot>
        <Rect>
          <Left>3840</Left>
          <Width>1280</Width>
          <Height>720</Height>
        </Rect>
      </Region>
    </Regions>
    <SwapGroups>
      <SwapGroup ResetRegion="0" ActiveRegion="0" PiPSqueakSlot="1" />
      <SwapGroup DeactivateSwapGroup="1" />
      <SwapGroup DeactivateSwapGroup="2" />
      <SwapGroup DeactivateSwapGroup="3" />
      <SwapGroup DeactivateSwapGroup="4" />
      <SwapGroup DeactivateSwapGroup="5" />
      <SwapGroup DeactivateSwapGroup="6" />
      <SwapGroup DeactivateSwapGroup="7" />
    </SwapGroups>
  </WindowLayout>

Only then was I able to launch all of my slots. Still not sure why but I guess for now, I have a fix.
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:37 am

Inner Space development build 6299 is up now with a fix for the "unable to start up 3d acceleration" issue. To try it out, right click Inner Space and select Patcher, tick "Download development (test) patches" and then close and restart Inner Space to let it patch up. :)
<<

wowtoon2009

Post Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:41 am

Still getting this error with the 6300 build

Oh, and I tried creating a new Display Layout - but that didn't seem to help.

FYI - This issue just started after yesterday's patch update.
<<

MiRai

Vibrant Videographer

Post Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:28 pm

I'm told that build 6301 now fixes the issue (for real).
Next

Return to Window Layouts