FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Window layouts ignoring settings?

Moderator: MiRai

<<

tigahawk

Post Wed May 24, 2017 4:58 pm

Window layouts ignoring settings?

I'm having immense trouble setting up my window layouts. It's flat out ignoring my settings for some reason?

I'm wanting to setup a layout for my 3 monitors. The middle monitor will run a client at fullscreen, the two side monitors will run 2 clients each, both taking up 50/50 of the screen. Video FX needs to be on or all clients bar the first will be a black screen. I'd also like to setup region 1 as the hot swap region. I use a hotkey / click and that click and that client will jump into region 1 and the region 1 client jumps to whatever one i just clicked.

I'm using the multi monitor config with swapping and maintain aspect.

If i only re position the windows to look like this:

by default region 2 has no home slot set. If i dont assign it slot 2 as home, and launch my clients region 1 and 2 will launch correctly, then 3-5 will launch in region 2's spot.

if i set region 2's home slot as region 2 (the wizard leaves it as <no slot> for some reason?) then all clients will launch in region 1, positioned on the monitor like slots 3/4 all ontop of eachother.

i am so confused at what's going on here. any advice?
<<

bob

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Wed May 24, 2017 7:49 pm

Re: Window layouts ignoring settings?

Unless you make it manually, a VideoFX layout wont just work if you happen to tick the box on an existing Window Layout. There are other moving parts which need to be in place. That tick box is essentially there to turn off VideoFX from a Window Layout. To create a new VideoFX Layout, you should use the Window Layout Wizard to create it and set the Use VideoFX option to true in the options on the r/h side.

Now, as a normal Window Layout wont setup quite how you want, then I also suggest that you choose something that is close to what you want in function, eg. "Multi-monitor on \\.\DISPLAY1 and \\.\DISPLAY2 (Swapping,Maintain Aspect)", and then once complete, you then drag and resize the smaller Windows around.

Certainly what you are asking for means a single Swap Group. You might also find that stuff on the smaller views just wont look right because of the Aspect Ratio differences when Instant Swapping is enabled, but disabling this will make swapping much slower, and the game will resize when it swaps, and this will most likely move the various in game elements around too - I don't suggest disabling this option!. For your chosen layout there, you will probably need to put up with the odd stretch.
<<

tigahawk

Post Wed May 24, 2017 11:54 pm

Allo!

Thanks once again for all your help with assisting me in setting up ISBOXER. I tried it about 1.5-2 years ago and got it working exactly how i wanted it then, but because i had 3 monitors of different sizes the resize made the text completely unreadable, so i decided on holding off on purchasing it until i got my monitors sorted. Really keen to get it setup and working now.

I followed your instructions again, but there has been no change. Here's everything that i did: https://youtu.be/-P_1W9QpGDc

I'm not sure if it's meant to have extra regions there for videoFX that i was meant to put over the other regions or if the as-is setup from the wizard was all that was needed, or if i'm a complete dimwit and have missed something but it's still ignoring the region slot assignments :(

thanks once more for your assistance with getting this setup!
<<

bob

Post Thu May 25, 2017 2:00 am

I didn't see what happened at the end (if you let it get that far) but a VideoFX layout will run your team in a stacked layout, regardless of how you configure it. When all characters are launched, and the DXnothing characters it added to the team, it will then create videofx viewers to place on the dxnothing Windows, and these will be viewers of the game windows underneath the top layer of the stack. So far, with what was in the video, it was what I would expect.

When it has fully launched the whole team, with the viewers in place, clicking on them should switch the appropriate underlying source window to the top of the stack, and swap the viewers around so the other 4 windows under the top of the stack are in the viewers on the side.
<<

tigahawk

Post Thu May 25, 2017 2:30 am

They ignored the layout and loaded full screen behind the first client.

Are you saying i need to launch all 5 before the window placement will take proper effect? As i've been cancelling out after the 1st client loads and the next ones load in the incorrect positions. I have not tried letting all of the clients launch / load as i've expected / had them launch in their correct positions within 5secs of opening previously?
<<

bob

Post Thu May 25, 2017 2:55 am

In a Video FX layout, the correct position of all game windows is Stacked all in the same place that the Active slot will load. In your setup where Region 1 is.

Yes, you need to let the whole set load.

Reasoning is explained here...
<<

tigahawk

Post Thu May 25, 2017 5:07 am

Tried letting all of them load, they still load all fullscreen in region 1.

With what you are saying with stacking them all in the wizard over region 1, isnt that the end result that i would get right now instead of moving them to the setting i want them to display at on all 3 monitors? I only get 5 regions when i use the wizard when i turn on videofx turned on?

If i use your instructions it's setting up all 5 regions in region 1, fullscreen. how do i tell it to move the 4 clients to the secondary monitors at a desired size / place?
<<

bob

Post Thu May 25, 2017 5:18 am

tigahawk wrote:Tried letting all of them load, they still load all fullscreen in region 1.
They are supposed to in a VideoFX layout.

tigahawk wrote:With what you are saying with stacking them all in the wizard over region 1, isnt that the end result that i would get right now instead of moving them to the setting i want them to display at on all 3 monitors? I only get 5 regions when i use the wizard when i turn on videofx turned on?
Correct. The VideoFX module uses this to work out where the DXnothings will go, and the size and position of the VideoFX viewers.

tigahawk wrote:If i use your instructions it's setting up all 5 regions in region 1, fullscreen. how do i tell it to move the 4 clients to the secondary monitors at a desired size / place?
With a videofx layout, you already have told them that by making your desired layout.

I'm not sure how to explain it further. If you make a videofx layout, then it will use DXnothing characters and VideoFX Viewers to emulate the layout as shown in the regions. It will do this my making a stacked screen layout, then use DXnothings and VideoFX to make the smaller regions.

Perhaps you should read this wiki page.
Or watch this video, which covers how the layout works, but all the grunt work of configuring it is no longer needed because it is automatically done based on the standard Window Layout you configure.

It is possible that the VideoFX Layout Module is not catering to the modifications you are making, but is appears as though it should. I don't have similar configuration to test with at the moment.

BTW, the only reason you should be needing to use a VideoFX layout is if you have set the game to use DX11 or this is on a laptop. These are normally the only two reasons for EVE to give you the black screens of the smaller windows in a non-videofx layout.
<<

tigahawk

Post Sat May 27, 2017 11:25 pm

Watched the video's you recommended. Created a new profile with 10 slots, assigned DXnothing to 5 of them. Stacked all 5 clients on monitor 1, then setup the videofx windows where i want everything displayed.

saved, exported and launched to do the next bit of setting videofx source / view. Let all clients + videofx windows load. Everything is still stacking 1/2 screen on the very left :S

Tried DX9, DX11. Ensured clients are set to launch in windowed mode. Restarted Innerspace, restarted the pc.
<<

bob

Post Sat May 27, 2017 11:36 pm

tigahawk wrote:Watched the video's you recommended.
they were for informational purposes only to give you an understanding of how it works.
tigahawk wrote:Created a new profile with 10 slots, assigned DXnothing to 5 of them.
Err why?? For a VideoFX layout, you can just choose the option in the Window Layout Wizard, and it will do it all for you. I can't think of any reason why you've need 5 DXnothings.

tigahawk wrote:Stacked all 5 clients on monitor 1, then setup the videofx windows where i want everything displayed.
saved, exported and launched to do the next bit of setting videofx source / view. Let all clients + videofx windows load. Everything is still stacking 1/2 screen on the very left :S
sounds like you've configured something oddly, which seems to tie in with the 5 DXnothings. Also sounds like everything is loading into the 1 slot because the launcher is not closing between games. Your previous video showed the ISBoxer EVE Launcher starting up and you putting in the password each time. It in theory should have exited between each game instance loading, but it may not have been (not that I can think of a good reason why it would not). The instructions for that are really to load the ISBoxer EVE Launcher as Admin first, enter your password, and then launch your team from Inner Space (not the buttons in the launcher).

tigahawk wrote:Tried DX9, DX11. Ensured clients are set to launch in windowed mode. Restarted Innerspace, restarted the pc.
Its in the profile...

OOC, is your "PC" a laptop? If not, then have you provided a diagnostics before ? Changes are we at least need to see the ISboxer profile because you've redone it and it all seems a bit weird.

Return to Window Layouts