FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Mini Windows Blank

Moderator: MiRai

<<

Astaroth1999

Post Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:41 pm

Mini Windows Blank

Just got a new laptop with a GTX1060. I have never run ISBoxer on anything other than a desktop before.

Initially I set everything up and it worked (14 instances of EQ1).

Performance was crap.

After reading these forums I figured out EQ was using the build intel GFX card instead of the nvidia. So I went into the Nvidia control panel and changed the default to the the GTX1060.

Restarted everything.

Deleted my Character Set and re-created it.

The lag seems gone and the main window works fine but the 13 smaller windows just render blank. If I swap them into the main spot they are fine but whatever got swapped into the min spot goes dark.

The game still works and the toons still behave as expected but the screens are just blank.

Any ideas?
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:21 pm

Re: Mini Windows Blank

The issue you're likely having is known and related to new NVIDIA drivers on laptops with both an NVIDIA and an Intel GPU (sometimes the combination is termed Optimus).

To avoid the issue, ISBoxer 42 (currently available in beta -- Beta info) provides a new "Use Video FX" option for your Window Layout, turning it into a Video FX Layout and not actually shrinking the windows.

I see you're already an ISBoxer Beta member, so you can grab the latest ISBoxer 42 beta build now and give it a try with this new setting :)
<<

Astaroth1999

Post Sat Sep 10, 2016 5:27 pm

Edit: Just read the mouse over text I think I know the problem.

Edit2: Ok I set it up with the wizard to create the dxNothing character but still the windows are stacked but no min screens surrounding them.
<<

Astaroth1999

Post Sat Sep 10, 2016 5:39 pm

Tried restarting isboxer and innerspace but still no luck.
<<

Astaroth1999

Post Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:53 pm

One more update:

dxNothing is running and is rendering a single window (wayyyy off the screen but if i move it then it comes up). However it is only putting slot 4 into that dxNothing window and the dxNothing window is on top of my EQ1 window. Pics below:

<<

bob

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:09 pm

Usually stuff get rendered way off screen because you are using a 4K screen, and Windows has helpfully set your display scaling to something other than 100%. Although in your case on a 17" screen you may have set it youself so everything is not so tiny.

As for why the other things are not displaying correctly. Not sure at this point as I have not tried that particular layout. Not enough toons. I'm also unsure how the inbuild VFX layout works, but if it ends up creating a single DXNothing window to layout on, then that would be an issue, because for that particular setup you would need 2.
<<

Astaroth1999

Post Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:48 pm

bob wrote:Usually stuff get rendered way off screen because you are using a 4K screen, and Windows has helpfully set your display scaling to something other than 100%. Although in your case on a 17" screen you may have set it youself so everything is not so tiny.

As for why the other things are not displaying correctly. Not sure at this point as I have not tried that particular layout. Not enough toons. I'm also unsure how the inbuild VFX layout works, but if it ends up creating a single DXNothing window to layout on, then that would be an issue, because for that particular setup you would need 2.

Scaling definitely explains the off screen thing then. I am not sure how to manually use VFX Characters to do what I want unfortunately - but the wizard only created one.
<<

bob

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:55 pm

You would need to create the VFX layout old school. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hntr1IE1Xgc

otherwise you will need to wait to see what Lax's response is. I don't know of anything you could do to fix the setup as it is without some tweaking required behind the scenes.
<<

Astaroth1999

Post Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:32 am

Excellent tutorial bob. This has fixed my problem. The auto xfvwizard is definitely broken. Unfortunately its also just destroying my CPU :( Good to know this is an option though! Thanks!
<<

Astaroth1999

Post Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:26 am

Update: I am stupid. I forgot to run EQPlayNice which is what caused the increased CPU. All is well now:

Next

Return to Window Layouts