FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Duplicating slot 2 behind slot 1

Moderator: MiRai

<<

Rok

Post Mon May 23, 2016 4:05 pm

Duplicating slot 2 behind slot 1

I have a party of 5, and I'm most comfortable using the following layout:
Single monitor layout on \\.\DISPLAY1 (Swapping,Avoid Taskbar)

But in order for VuhDo to show up clearer in my tank's window (slot 1), instead of going for the whole dxNothing thing, which seems a bit too advanced/confusing for my current skill/familiarity level, I just went for the super simple possible solution of trying the following layout:
Stacked full screen on \\.\DISPLAY1 (No Swapping)

However, I don't like this layout. First of all, it seems to slow things down a bit; and secondly, it prevents me from lining up the mouse cursor after turning on repeater for some quests, and also prevents me from checking on my followers every now and then to see if they're following alright, etc.

So until I am more confident with ISBoxer and Video FX, and can figure out dxNothing smoothly, I find myself wondering if there is an alternative in-between solution: Can I simply duplicate the healer's window (slot 2) behind the tank's window (slot 1), while leaving the smaller healer window (slot 2) and 3 DPS slots (3, 4, and 5) as they are below the tank's window (slot 1)? If so, then how can I do this, please?

I currently use Window Layout Wizard to produce my layouts, but I'm guessing that, if the solution I asked about is possible, then I'm gonna have to do some editing in:
ISBoxer -> Window Layouts -> “My 5”

But then what?

Thanks for anyone taking the time to help.
<<

bob

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Mon May 23, 2016 6:31 pm

Re: Duplicating slot 2 behind slot 1

The only way to have multiple views of the same game client window is to use VideoFX.
If you want to have a full sized healer window, so your vudho looks pretty via videofx, then you need to go stacked. If you want to have the mini views at the same time, then you need to use a dxnothing/videofx layout. There is no in between.

MiRai steps you through setting up a VideoFX layout in this video, which also includes a downloadable profile which you can check out (see loading a shared configuration).

This post in the forums helped me immensely when working out VideoFX and the actions behind the switching to replicate the mini viewer setup. This was before MiRai's helpful video series.

Rok wrote:I just went for the super simple possible solution of trying the following layout:
Stacked full screen on \\.\DISPLAY1 (No Swapping)

However, I don't like this layout. First of all, it seems to slow things down a bit; and secondly, it prevents me from lining up the mouse cursor after turning on repeater for some quests, and also prevents me from checking on my followers every now and then to see if they're following alright, etc.
I'm not completely sure what you are describing here, but it doesn't all add up.
1. Having each window display it's rendered resolution is not any harder for the computer than having it display a scaled view of the rendered resolution. It should not be "slower", unless you mean the way you do have to do things.
2. The mouse cursor should line up completely when using a stacked layout. If it does not, then your games are probably not all set to the same ingame setting of "Windowed Fullscreen", and instead you have tried to force different resolutions onto them.
3. Yep, you can't see into the stack, hence the need for a VideoFX Layout.
<<

Rok

Post Tue May 24, 2016 4:39 am

Thank you for clarifying all that, Bob.

I'll try checking the video description of the video you linked and loading its linked configuration, and will take a look at the post you linked.

I find myself wondering, though, if this is a feature that can be added by lax: offer an option in Video FX to render the displayed part at the same resolution of the window that views it. You see, you can click any of the smaller slots below slot 1, and it instantly shows up maximized with a crisp resolution. So why can't Video FX always pretend that the Video FX source, or ideally only the specific part of the source window being passed through via Video FX, is maximized at the same resolution of the viewer window, or a resolution that we specify in options?

Such a feature would make our lives much easier when using Video FX, and we don't have to use dxNothing or multiple Video FX sources and viewers anymore.

As for my reference to things slowing down, isn't this Stacked full screen layout basically rendering all 5 windows at this big resolution, whereas the other layout renders only one window at a time at this big resolution, and the rest of the windows appear smaller in slot 2 to 5? And this is the reason VuhDo appears so blurry in the big slot?
<<

Rok

Post Tue May 24, 2016 5:29 am

Ok, after watching the video, I realized that this is not just brain-meltingly complicated and confusing, but it will also require even another shortcut to switch between windows, I won't be able to switch by clicking as I could with the simple layouts produced by the wizard. Freakin’ hell...I already have way more than enough shortcuts to deal with while managing a party of 5, including a tank and a healer, counting WoW's keybindings and ISBoxer's hotkeys.

I really, really think there should be a much simpler way to achieve this, and the simplest way I can think of is to include an option in Video FX to simply always render the Video-FX source part at the maximized resolution, not the the small-slot resolution down below, or even render the whole source window at maximized resolution. I don't think this would tax the machine as much as rendering all 5 windows at windowed-fullscreen resolution then stacking them would do.

Until such a feature is added, I think I just have to rely on a jagged or very blurry looking VuhDo or Grid+Clique on my tank's window.
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Tue May 24, 2016 6:13 am

You sound a bit misled. The Desktop Window Management API built into Windows provides the system used for Video FX.

The issue isn't that they are in low resolution, because they're not (assuming you didn't turn off Instant Swap) -- the window is simply smaller. You don't even have to use a full screen resolution to use dxNothing (let alone a different resolution than you're using now!), you just need to avoid shrinking the actual windows. The DWM API is going to show you the window as it is rendered on your desktop, and it looks blurry because what you see on screen is a small window and you're enlarging it.

The Full Screen Stacked style achieves that because it doesn't use swapping at all. You can start with Full Screen Stacked, and change it to make all of the windows smaller than the full screen. They can all be exactly the size of your main window right now, which means the difference in performance should be roughly 0% difference. Like if I decided to change my Window Layout to use 3440x1080 resolution (out of 3440x1440) instead of 3440x1080 resolution, I would expect the performance to be the same ... because the numbers are the same. The only difference is that there are no smaller windows (thereby working around the DWM limitation). You can make the smaller views using Video FX. You can place them on a dxNothing window that covers the area of the screen where you like your small windows -- in my example it would be 3440x360, and I would have mine along the bottom of the screen.

MiRai even made a video showing that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hntr1IE1Xgc -- Looks and feels like a Window Layout, but perfect for Video FX because there are no smaller windows.
<<

Rok

Post Tue May 24, 2016 7:15 am

Lax, the main problem is that the majority of the Video FX and dxNothing material is just going over my head. I watched all the videos by MiRai in the basics series, and I watched several of his videos on Video FX, where he shows how to duplicate the frame of another player under current player's frame, and how to duplicate the minimap square in 3 WoW windows, but I remember nothing about the technicalities of all, nothing. The problem is that I have to watch those videos several times, and maybe pause and go to my settings, change them, get back and resume, maybe rewind and rewatch, etc. The investment of time is just enormous for a guy like me, and I'd much rather be thankful for the wizards you provided, along with the very first video I watched by MiRai, which clarified the mystery of Exporting to me, so allowed me to start dual-boxing within half an hour of starting all this; and thankful for the wizards and other videos that allowed me to multibox and finish my first 5-box low-level dungeon after a few hours of customization and video-watching. But more than that is just too much for me at the moment. All I want is a clear Video FX source for my tank's viewer frame while I use the preferred “Single monitor layout on \\.\DISPLAY1 (Swapping,Avoid Taskbar)” layout.

I'm even having trouble activating Video FX again just so I can use that layout while living with a blurry/jagged source frame for VuhDo. And I can't activate it again on my own! I have to go watch the video again, Lax. I go to the source window, pick Video FX Source from the drop down menu, call the source VH2 (adding 2 because it's slot 2 and that's apparently recommended), click Add, and adjust the source frame over VuhDo exactly, then I go to my viewer window(s), pick Video FX Viewer from the drop down menu, click Add, then go back to my source window and click Sync Viewers, and go back to my viewer window(s) to find that the viewer frame disappeared! I don't know. Apparently, I just shouldn't click Sync Viewers, but that makes me wonder why? And now I realize I just forgot something and perhaps added a wrong step, so have to watch the relevant video again. Anyway, that's just an example to demonstrate how daunting it is to even begin to think to upgrade to dxNothing at this point when I even forget how to do Video FX the next day after I do it correctly.

Return to Window Layouts