FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Window Swap Lag & Graphic Issue since 5.0.4

Moderator: MiRai

<<

Acidburning

Post Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:43 am

Window Swap Lag & Graphic Issue since 5.0.4

Hi Lax,
I am still having an issue with window swapping.

you can see my original log here:
http://www.dual-boxing.com/threads/47799-Video-Settings-Swap-for-5-0-4-Having-Swap-Delay-need-some-help

Here is a video:
http://youtu.be/TYg2_-lJRQc
If you jump to 35 seconds, you will see that when I swap, it appears the entire previous window is being resized and re-rendered. Notice that blue wall?

Settings here:
http://www.privatepaste.com/1f3c0de9f4

I have changed that each swap is assigned to all 4 CPUs, not just one now. It has helped with the lag between window swapping, but the resize and re-rendering with blue wall still occurs.

Really hoping there is a solution.

Thanks,
Acid
<<

Acidburning

Post Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:20 pm

Re: Window Swap Lag & Graphic Issue since 5.0.4

Just a quick update.

I tried DX9 vs DX11 this morning after reading something. No change.

I have now removed my High Low Graphic Setting keymaps and just manually changed my main to High settings and my others to Good. With this change, swapping is so fast. However, I still see it zoom into the top left corner and zoom out in a split second. For now, this is my workaround. But it definatley has something to do with the /console settings, I just can't figure it out :[
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:29 pm

The thread you're linking to would suggest this has nothing to do with window swapping, it's all about the macro you're using to change the game's graphics settings. Which happens to occur during window swapping. If you remove that behavior from your Window Swapping and it's instant (as configured in your Window Layout), then let's not talk about "window swapping lag"...

That would be a graphics reset/change in WoW caused by one or more of the commands in your macro. Figuring out which ones it is will be necessary to eliminate the lag.

Turn Key Maps OFF to disable your Settings High/Low Mapped Keys (so you can do the macro itself in game yourself instead). If you do this and press Ctrl+Alt+[ and Ctrl+Alt+] to switch back and forth, you want that to be instant, and it sounds like it currently isn't.

I went ahead and dropped your macros into my config, and by manually using them I see that it isn't instant and I also see a "blue wall."

By taking it line by line, I have identified something that definitely causes the described behavior. And you can try it out by typing it into the console! Enter these commands in the console, one after another, and observe.

/console farclip 1057
/console farclip 185

Removing these lines removes both the blue wall and the lag. You will not be able to change the clip plane without this behavior in this build of World of Warcraft, as far as I can see so far (this happens in both DirectX 9 and DirectX 11).

Enjoy. :)
<<

Acidburning

Post Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:20 am

Thanks for your help in this.

Crazy, when I went line for line with the /console, It didn't do the same thing. Now, as you suggested, I removed both of those, blue wall is gone. (thank you).

So, I have been having more graphic related issues. 99.9% sure it's just wow. I have resorted back to all my windows being "Fair" video, and typically my main driver being "Good".

However, just to follow up. Since I never noticed it before. When I swap windows, I can still see for a sliver of a second, the top left zoom in and then resize. Is this normal (for my current isboxer setup) ?

Thanks,
Acid
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:02 am

When I swap windows, I can still see for a sliver of a second, the top left zoom in and then resize. Is this normal (for my current isboxer setup) ?

You might notice it transition like that for a window layout that does resizing, certainly. Its when the resizing phase is super slow that you need to worry ;)

Return to Window Layouts