FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

warrior/mage combo - wow

Moderator: MiRai

<<

sterger7

Post Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:41 pm

warrior/mage combo - wow

Hi there...I'm new to the program trying to figure out one prob at a time.

I've got the basic 1-0 cast bar that mirrors. follow works, and I got interact with target bound to alt-g.

What I'm hoping someone can clearly explain now is a good way to make a mage work with a warrior. I plan to play the warrior and box the mage.

Questions:

1: can I turn follow off "with" a dps spell? like...can I push (1) on my keyboard to cast a frostbolt which also moves the character an inch back to break follow or does it have to be a totally extra keystroke any time you want to attack something?
2: assuming I can do the above somehow, how can I then auto move towards target until the mage is "in range" ind then cast the spell? is that even possible? Sure i can "interact with target' but that just moves it to the target as if it was a melee right?

If I'm thinking about this all wrong, I'd love some help from someone who has done a melee/caster combo like this. It's really difficult with how it cancels the spells and with distance/range being a constant issue, etc.
<<

sterger7

Post Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:32 am

Re: warrior/mage combo - wow

Anyone?

Would love to at least know if there's a way to make 'interact' move a caster into casting range to cast a spell in some sort of macro stack fashion? Or if there's any way to deal with being in range
<<

sterger7

Post Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:49 pm

sigh..any1..any1 at all.

Can interact with target be used somehow (or any function) to make a mage "approach" an enemy until they're in combat range then cast the spell?
<<

bob

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:10 pm

maybe.

IWT tends to move toons into range, when they are not in range. You could then have a spell queued up, but depending on the spell, the fact that IWT (in ISBoxer anyway), may be making you move, then as it receives the spell action keystroke at the same time, that may break the spell cast action, or the spell cast action may cancel the IWT.

Hard to know without testing it, but I suspect it may have some difficulties.

With a default wizard setup in ISBoxer, one of the tickbox options on the final page is to use the Auto Interact With Target. If using this, with some spells on the 1 to = bar, would indicate how well this will all work. I'd be inclined to do a quick test using a clean profile (i.e. Save As your current setup, File -> Clear, make a new setup for testing with the auto IWT), and test it out.

p.s. MiRai put a little chart on the bottom of the IWT wiki page which covers what each class do when they receive an IWT command from ISBoxer (which temporarily turns on Click To Move so the toon will move).
<<

sterger7

Post Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:40 pm

It's just...kinda odd that noone seems to know if you can stack an interact with a spell cast to do this....you'd think it'd be common knowledge after so many years on the market. Ugh
<<

Wizeowel

Post Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:36 am

sterger7 wrote:It's just...kinda odd that noone seems to know if you can stack an interact with a spell cast to do this....you'd think it'd be common knowledge after so many years on the market. Ugh

It is known. The short answer is no, the long answer is that it depends on the time between key down and key up, the distance to the target and your spell lag tolerance setting.

Bob has just said "may cancel IWT" not because he doesn't know, but because it depends on the situation.

In your case with a mage, if your Mapped Key sends IWT and Frostbolt button at the same time. Then if A) mage is out of range, IWT will start walking the toon towards the target; or B) if mage is in range, it will start casting Frostbolt. However after moving, the mage won't automatically start casting, you need to press the button again, unless the key up moment is within the spell queue lag time while your toon is crossing the 30yd line. You will discover that most multiboxing configs have a "DPS" button that is usually spammed during combat, this takes care of the movement and the casting. You make your rotations by for each class using steps/actions in ISBoxer, sending multiple keypresses to the game client, and by careful use of /castsequence macros.

So just make a new config with keys 1-0 auto assist and auto IWT. Put Shield Slam on your warrior's 1 button and frostbolt on your mage's 1 button, and then go to target dummies to see for yourself how it works. Try from both toons to see the different behaviour of each class. Also check with elemental shaman, and put lightning bolt on 1. Unlike the mage, shaman won't stop walking at wand range, so that is why often people with elemental shaman will have IWT as an explicit button press instead of using auto-IWT.

Return to Key Maps