FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Complex Key Map Setup Assistance

Moderator: MiRai

<<

UnloosedDisc

Post Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:34 am

Complex Key Map Setup Assistance

Hey, I got a pretty complex key map config in mind for WoW but after much thought i'm still struggling to understand how it could be accomplished. I have a 5 box 3 role team and they all have DPS/HPS rotation macros. What i want to do is have my active client receive 1-= and my background clients receive their macros. I also need this to be dynamic so when i switch slots the new active slot will receive 1-= and the rest, their macros. How could i look at implementing this into a profile?

Thanks.
"Sorry if wrong section" - Me (Forum Noob)
<<

bob

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:25 pm

Re: Complex Key Map Setup Assistance

It would really depend on what "their macros" means.

if the main receives 1 to = and the others receive SHIFT+ 1 to =, then it is a simple matter of 2 actions, different targets, different keycombinations.

If the others receive different things depending on role, then you probably want to use some Action Target Groups, and 1 action per role and 1 action for the current window, so 4 actions. Basically the number of targets will dictate the number of actions.

e.g.
<<

UnloosedDisc

Post Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:11 pm

Hey, so i made a bunch of key maps for each situation (whoever im playing from) they look like this.

ISBoxer_Toolkit_2019-04-26_12-03-56.jpg
From Healer
ISBoxer_Toolkit_2019-04-26_12-03-56.jpg (100.26 KiB) Viewed 5233 times

ISBoxer_Toolkit_2019-04-26_12-03-38.jpg
From Tank
ISBoxer_Toolkit_2019-04-26_12-03-38.jpg (93.14 KiB) Viewed 5233 times

I now need to figure out how to switch between these depending on what slot im on. I assume this [if possible] would use a key map toggler and custom slot swap mapped keys. I'm just not sure what key maps to toggle of for each situation. This seems to be where i get lost.

- Thanks
<<

bob

Post Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:23 pm

Well, if the Key Map is only assigned to the correct characters, then as they have Hotkeys on those mapped keys, then only those mapped keys will run for the active character.

When you press a key on the keyboard, ISBoxer only processes the hotkey on the active window, so even though the other characters might have Key Maps assigned, with hotkeys, they are not executed because you have pressed the Hotkey. The other windows know nothing about the hotkey.

The method I outlined is more designed for you to have ONE Key Map with mapped keys that have hotkeys assigned to it, and that Key Map is loaded for everybody, but the actions it then performs will send an appropriate command to the various groups that expect to receive it (whether direct Key Stroke Actions, or Do Mapped Key Actions).

Now, if you happen to have multiple Key Maps assigned the to the Character Set, and those multiple Key Maps have mapped keys with the same hotkeys, then each character will have multiple mapped keys all with the same Hotkeys, and all hell breaks loose.

Without looking at your profile, I suspect you have multiple Key Maps, all with Mapped Keys with the same Hotkey, and are loading those Key Maps to all the Character Set (so all characters receive it). This is a bad design.
<<

UnloosedDisc

Post Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:05 pm

Hey, I suppose the point is to only have 1 key map active depending on what slot im on. The design you came up with isn't dynamic in the way i need it to be. At least i don't think it is. This is getting too confusing, thanks for trying. :cry:
Attachments
ISBoxer_Toolkit_2019-04-26_12-57-58.jpg
All the situational key maps
ISBoxer_Toolkit_2019-04-26_12-57-58.jpg (14.42 KiB) Viewed 5224 times
<<

bob

Post Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:19 pm

I beg to differ, it would work just fine, provided you don't have multiple Key Maps with Mapped keys, with the same Hotkeys, all loaded on the same toon at the same time.

However, if you want to get it to be more technical, then create some more mapped keys and load/unload the Key Maps when you switch to specific toons.

<<

UnloosedDisc

Post Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:25 pm

Hey, so if i am understanding correctly, i could just assign a key map for each situation (like the ones i attached above) to the right characters and it should work fine? I am willing to ditch the pro config if i can get it to work properly.

- Thanks
<<

bob

Post Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:39 am

If you are using a Pro-Config, then you probably should be using Key Map Virtualization Actions to switch between the behaviours you want.

So, I may have been a bit too subtle before when I said "Without looking at your profile.........."

If you want to know how to set it up, share your config so we can see what you have got and how you have got it, and then we can direct you with the appropriate steps to suit what you have.

Return to Key Maps