Key String Action in Everquest

Moderator: MiRai

<<

banchicawawo

Post Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:34 am

Key String Action in Everquest

I've read over this post several times:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4244#p18731

I can get a keystroke action to work in Everquest by creating a ton of steps in one hotkey to perform a basic command like:
/xtar 13
or
/fo

The article suggests that the new Key String Action should work, but I can't get that to work in Everquest.

What am I missing with Key String Actions?

Additionally, I seem to be able to get the Keystroke Action to work if I put it all under a single step, but I can't get a second step to work. Is this expected behavior? Ideally, I'd like to have multiple steps so my characters can all target me, and then follow me, all in one button click or hotkey. I hope that makes sense.

Thanks.
<<

bob

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:01 pm

Re: Key String Action in Everquest

As per the post from Lax under the one you linked, Keystrings in EQ, require you to use the game paste action. So if, in the games bindings, it's Paste is set to CTRL+V, you can in the keystring action set the copy to clipboard, and they you send a keystroke action to the game for the paste, which is CTRL+V.

There are caveats.
1. You need to ensure only 1 toon is putting something on the clipboard. If all your toons try and put something on the clipboard at the same time, there is no guarantee as to what will be there.
2. Putting something on the clipboard and then pasting from it, might require a delay, which in ISBoxer will mean a two stepped mapped key.

Keystrings can get a bit messy when needed to be done this way. Much easier to keep your toon names short (8 chars or less), so you can get away with slash commands and your toon name in the one step.

As for your two step problem. Select the mapped key and set the Execute a step when the Hotkey is "pressed OR released". This way it will execute a step when you press the hotkey and a second step when you let go of the hotkey. Also, this is a built in delay for those times it is needed. Miniscule as it might be when you pound away on those keys, it is usually enough.
<<

banchicawawo

Post Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:38 pm

So if I'm understanding this correctly, and I want my character to use "/follow," then my key map needs to look something like this:
Actions:
Key String > self (/follow is the string)
Ctrl+v > self
Enter > self

I am also making sure the checkbox is selected on the first action "Fill windows clipboard."
I also cannot send this to multiple characters. I could have 2 buttons on my click bar, one that sends to one character, and another that sends to the last character. I can't, however, have them both try to copy/paste because they would lose what's on the clipboard.

Am I understanding that correctly?

Thanks.
<<

bob

Post Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:54 pm

So yes to most of it.

You can have multiple Characters paste from the clipboard. If it has /follow, and everyone then Pastes (CTRL+V), then they'll all get /follow.

What you don't want to setup is something where multiple Characters are all trying to copy a Keystring action to the clipboard at the same time. For a simple setup, you probably wont be doing this, but if you are going through Firescue's posts, then you may get into a virtualized/pro config territory, and if you do that, then you can end up with multiple characters all copying their own thing to the clipboard, and that will be problematic, and it will be the last one wins.
<<

banchicawawo

Post Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:50 pm

Thanks for the help. I had it pretty close, but I was missing the actual "enter" action at the end. I now have a hotkey that makes all the toons target me and then follow me. In EQ, you can't really use /follow TARGET. You have to target the person first, and then you can use /follow. In my case, I use the extended target window for Main Assist to be 13. I set my primary character to main assist first in the group, and then make all of them target the extended target in slot 13 (my main toon).

Step1:
Actions:
Keystroke action: Enter > self
Key String action: /xtar 13 > self
Keystroke action: Ctrl+V > self
Keystroke action: Enter > Self

Step 2:
Actions:
Keystroke action: Enter > self
Key String action: /follow > self
Keystroke action: Ctrl+V > self
Keystroke action: Enter > Self

I also have the key mapping to perform a step when "pressed OR released." This way, clicking the click bar will activate step 1 when pushing, and releasing will perform step 2. It's still more steps than I was expecting, but much easier than typing out all sorts of steps to spell out each line.

My next question is: Is it possible to have multiple keystring actions in a single step? With the method above, I was able to get the desired result by making the hotkey work on "pressed or released" and using a second step. Would it be possible to have put all of that information into a single step instead of 2 steps? I didn't see a way of being able to do that.

Thanks.
<<

bob

Post Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:09 am

You could try putting stuff into a single step, but while the actions in a step are sent to the game in the order listed, they are effectively sent in the same frame, so it's kind of like mashing the keyboard with all those keys at the same time. It is up to the game as to how to interpret that, and if you overload it with too much, it will drop things off. EQ is known to take approximately 14 keystrokes at once before this occurs, but there are no guarantees.
Of note is you also have several of the same things going on, e.g. ENTERS and a couple of CTRL+V and if you are using the clipboard for different strings. It could go horribly wrong.
<<

banchicawawo

Post Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:14 am

Thanks for all the help. I have this working as best as I can now, and I better understand the limitations of EQ in this regard. It's still better than using the keystroke action to spell things out, heh.

Return to Key Maps