FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

'Do Mapped Key Action' vs. 'Keystroke Action'

Moderator: MiRai

<<

bgarisn

Post Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:14 am

'Do Mapped Key Action' vs. 'Keystroke Action'

Hi all, just a quick question to make sure that I understand things correctly.

I can send keystrokes to my game client several ways (from this video of MiRai's)

I understand that if I have multiple Keystroke Actions in a Step for a Mapped Key that ISBoxer will send all of the keys at the same time.

So if my Actions are the following:

1. Step 1 -> Actions
    1. Num 1 -> self
    2. Num 2 -> self
    3. Ctrl+Num 1 -> self (*** This one will never get sent because it is not a working keystroke ***)

However, I can break this Mapped Key up into two steps as follows and it should work:

1. Step 1 -> Actions
    1. Num 1 -> self
    2. Num 2 -> self
  2. Step 2 -> Actions
    1. Ctrl+Num 1 -> self (*** This one will never get sent because it is not a working keystroke ***)

So if I choose to use only Keystroke Actions, then I should take care to ensure that all like keystrokes are in the same step (i.e. Step 1: Normal Key Spam, Step 2: Modifier Key Spam). This makes sense to me and I wrote it down just to make sure that there wasn't a flaw in my thinking.

But I've noticed that a lot of the 'veteran' multi-boxers tend to use an 'Action Bar' Keymap and then use 'Do Mapped Key Action's. I can understand this because it allows me to put keystrokes with mixed modifiers in a single step for my Mapped Key. I can also verify this by watching the Debug console in-game if I have 'Button' , 'Key Map', 'Mapped Key' and 'Virtual Mapped Key' selected (probably not all necessary but they let me visualize it).

[?] Is the ability to use normal keys and keys with modifiers the reason people prefer the 'Action Bar' Keymap over Keystroke Actions?

When I was testing, it seemed that the order of the 'Do Mapped Key' actions matters. Just for testing out on my Protection Paladin, it seems that based on the spells I used, it would act as a priority system. That is, if I put the most important spell first, whenever it would come off cooldown, it would be used over the other spells.

[?] Is that true to say that if the spells included in a step are all executed via 'Do Mapped Key Action' that they are more of a priority list of what to cast?

Looking forward to hearing how/why you choose to implement your Key Maps the way you did.

Thanks for taking the time to read.
<<

bob

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:57 am

Re: 'Do Mapped Key Action' vs. 'Keystroke Action'

All actions are executed in order.

All keystroke actions will execute at the same time, in the order listed, but the net effect is generally that they all arrive at the game at the same time, and it is up to the game to interpret it. Depending on the game, and how it detects modifiers, this can cause overrun of modifers from one action to another, or even misdetection of modifers. For some games it is needed to use the "Hold" option and this then limits whether you can use the press OR release option for Mapped Keys.
All Do Mapped Key actions will execute in order, and each one will be executed before the next one.

The order of execution DOES depend on TARGET.
The simple version is everything with a Target of Window:Current (or self), will execute in order, letting everything arrive pretty much at the same time, letting the game interpret it how it will. Everything without a target of Window:Current (self), will route through InnerSpace to determine the resulting Target set, and depending on the depth of the mapped key chain, you might end up with things that don't end up sending keystrokes to the game that match the order of actions (although I normally find that the issues I get with this are handling of dynamic InnerSpace config more than keystrokes).

Why the action bars? Usually because there are only so many hotkeys you can handle, and the action bars end up being useful click points for certain things. Healing comes to mind for this as you can use a variety of things to monitor and apply specific keystrokes at certain times (such as on mouseover).
<<

bgarisn

Post Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:51 pm

Re: 'Do Mapped Key Action' vs. 'Keystroke Action'

Thanks for the reply, bob. That cleared up a few things. Appreciate your input. :)

Return to Key Maps