FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Redoing my config and am lost on some basics

Moderator: MiRai

<<

Fippy

Post Wed May 23, 2018 10:15 pm

Redoing my config and am lost on some basics

Config: https://pastebin.com/HZfbUPr2

It has been a couple of years since I've done anything serious with ISBoxer. Part of that time I tried out one of the "TrueBox" EQ1 servers and had a good time, but alas my schedule puts me in a position where I'm unreliable as a guild member.

Recently I have some extra time, and figure that I will start over on a regular server and do my own thing for a while. The ISBoxer profile I put together in the past is rather complex and will take some time to figure out. I decided to start a fresh ISBoxer profile (no wizards) and manually add things. This time I'm documenting the process along with abundant screen shots so that the next time I find myself in this position I have a refererence. The reason I mention this is to explain why I'm going backwards from something that works.

Anyhow some things are not working quite right, and I need some help right now. I feel that the problem is a basic misunderstanding on my part of how ISBoxer works. Not a serious one, after all I have a lot working, but something isn't quite right.

1. Let me start with the Virtual G13/G15 keyboards. I have both. I should add that I have a two monitor setup as shown in the Window Layout which uses one full window and a DxNothing display with six mini windows plus other goodies.

I have the menus manually toggling via a keystroke mapped in "Always On" (Load Menu).

I want the hotkeys/button sets to be active from all characters, but only visible on DxNothing. I was able to do this with a duplicate menu where everything was transparent, and show this on everything other than DxNothing. This seems "clunky". I suppose I could use a bunch of Menu Button actions, but that seems clunky as well. I've tried defining an ATG with everything but DxNothing and then sending different menu styles, but this does not allow the keyboard presses to be seen.

I could make global hotkeys, but that would separate the function of the menus into different parts of the config. I would prefer to have one set of Button Sets to edit. Ideally there would be some sort of style which would just not draw the buttons on some screens.

OK, I am a bit OCD about those displays. The config I pasted works, but seems inelegant.

My experiments broke the menus such that reloading the profile wouldn't fix things. I needed to log out all characters and load the profile from the Innerspace system tray icon before the menus would work again.

2. Single Keypress Follow/Assist

I am remapping virtual keys for the active character. This is through the Character Set slots, "When I switch to this character...". I note that when a profile is sent to ISBoxer this does not automatically fire. A minor thing, but I must remember to switch to another character and then back in order for this focus to work. But the focus does work.

If you look at the Button Set "G510 Setup" the G2 key is mapped to follow. This executes "Control: Follow Me" in 199: General Hotkeys, which has two steps. Now the rule is "one key press, one step". I was hoping to use the "on press or release" trick to ensure there is an appropriate delay between assist changing a target, and the follow command. This occasionally works, but usually no.

Setting the menu button to "Hold" and then having the "199" hotkey set to "on press or release" sometimes works if I hold the key down for a second. But I suspect that the focus is not always working correctly. Just now I changed to my bard, and no matter how long I held the key down before release, everyone followed the previous focus. If I activated another character and then returned to the Bard then everything was OK. I'm able to repeat this behavior. About 1/3 of the time the focus change does not occur.

Well I think I'll leave this at two issues and add more posts later. Nothing is gained by burying an issue in the middle of a long post.

Thanks for being here to help.

Edit: Adding a popup text action to the end of the focus change seems to make a positive difference
<<

bob

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Thu May 24, 2018 9:43 am

Re: Redoing my config and am lost on some basics

Fippy wrote:I want the hotkeys/button sets to be active from all characters, but only visible on DxNothing.
Probably the easiest way to do this going to be to have everything defined in Mapped Keys, and one of the actions of the mapped key is a Menu Button Action to update the look of the menu button (and probably a second action with a timer to change it back again). As it is a fairly standard menu structure this could be handled via a Do Mapped Key Action which calls specific mapped keys in their own key map to which are solely for the purpose of the menu visuals.
The other option would be to use the Soft Attach of a hotkey set, which means it only updates the visuals on the button but doesn't actually run the button actions, but rather it would run a mapped key which also used the same hotkey (this does have the problem you are trying to get around in that the visuals are updated on the Active window). If you want the ability to click on the menu as well as press hotkeys, then you will probably want to go down this route.

Fippy wrote:This is through the Character Set slots, "When I switch to this character...". I note that when a profile is sent to ISBoxer this does not automatically fire.
It should fire on export to InnerSpace, but only for Slot 1.

Fippy wrote:If you look at the Button Set "G510 Setup" the G2 key is mapped to follow. This executes "Control: Follow Me" in 199: General Hotkeys, which has two steps. Now the rule is "one key press, one step". I was hoping to use the "on press or release" trick to ensure there is an appropriate delay between assist changing a target, and the follow command. This occasionally works, but usually no. Setting the menu button to "Hold" and then having the "199" hotkey set to "on press or release" sometimes works if I hold the key down for a second.
This is more likely to behave how you want if you switch it to use mapped keys triggered by your hotkeys rather than button actions. Menu buttons don't really have a "press OR release" concept, and the HOLD option is just like the HOLD option on mapped keys, where any modifiers are "held" rather than sent as a key press. The ISB42 wizard setup would use the Hold option, with the lower level mapped key set to "press OR release", which would appear on the surface to be the same as what you are doing, but as you have a few more layers in play, not sure how that affects things. You may need to apply the press OR release option higher up the chain, or make sure the lower parts of the chain also have the HOLD setting.

With EQ you can get more funky about it, and I see that you have started on that method, with your Assist/Target. I'd also put the / F O L L O W in that category and make sure that the keystrokes are sent to Window:Current in much the same manner, otherwise it is possible they will arrive out of order.

Fippy wrote:But I suspect that the focus is not always working correctly. Just now I changed to my bard, and no matter how long I held the key down before release, everyone followed the previous focus. If I activated another character and then returned to the Bard then everything was OK. I'm able to repeat this behavior. About 1/3 of the time the focus change does not occur.
I suspect this is because your 100: Satchmo - Assist Me/Target Me mapped keys, should be /ASS SAT and not /ASS SAC (and the /TAR equiv), but I'm no expert on this part of EQ name shortening. I could also be wrong as the character name appears to not have a T in it. so hard to know.
<<

Fippy

Post Thu May 24, 2018 11:47 pm

Re: Redoing my config and am lost on some basics

Thanks for the help Bob!

Updated config: https://pastebin.com/CyzVbCFV

I've switched to using mapped keys. One drawback that I see is that I don't believe I can change the mapped key names to something descriptive if I want to use virtualization. Being able to look at a button set and see "Button 10: G7 (Selos)" was very nice. Maybe one day Lax would add some sort of single line comment field that would appear in the collapsed key map tree, allowing the key name to remain "G7" for overloading.

+ G4 (Stop)
+ G5 (Star)
+ G6 (Flying V)

The mapped key approach seems to work well. I am struggling at the moment to get "follow" to work with one keypress. Oddly enough "assist" works with one keypress. I need a bit of sleep before I can think clearly about this.

I had to add one more layer of virtualization though.

G510 Listener (has the physical keys bound and performs do-mapped-key actions)
G510 Hub (is a blank template that is overridden
G510 Setup (one of the first pages).

Virtualization for key maps works for clicks and "do mapped key actions", but not physical keys, so I had to make sure that every physical button press was turned into a mapped key action to a key map that would be virtualized.

Regarding the bard's name, good catch. Alas the actions were using the correct spelling, and the names of the key maps were not. So everything there was working OK, but I did take a moment to correct the spelling in the keymap.

Return to Key Maps