FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Key Map won't work

Moderator: MiRai

<<

Swal

Post Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:33 pm

Key Map won't work

Hi,

I recently started to use IsBoxer, it is great, but there a few keys it just won't do. I'd like help identifying why, and if there is a workaround.

Config: https://pastebin.com/RaAHTqqE
I pretty much just created a profile via the wizard and tried to add \ and BACKSPACE to it, but neither of them works. I have a UK keyboard layout, so \ is at a very handy place right under A, and backspace is bound to a button on my G600.
It is probably worth mentioning Backspace (but not \) works when I first press enter and try to delete entered characters, but still has the tiny delay you get from broadcasting.
I tried straight broadcast and also the same way the numbers work.

Thanks for any help!
<<

bob

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:36 pm

Re: Key Map won't work

It depends a lot on what you are trying to achieve.

If this is so you can start Chat on all clients, and spam the same thing, then
1. don't because that is going to give you a bad name and people will hate on you, and
2. don't, because that is going to not help the reputation of multiboxers, which other players hate on already because they can't play good and need someone to blame, and
3. don't, because it is not being a good citizen and will get you banned.

Besides that (which could be totally wrong), if you look at your mapped keys, they are configured differently. i.e. the BACKSPACE (G20) mapped key has a target of Window: All w/Current, so the keystroke will be sent to all windows. Whereas the \ (\) mapped key has a target of Window: Current (or self), so it will only be sent to the current window (and you might as well not have a mapped key) - it also sets a repeater target for some reason, but presumably because you really want the target to be Window: All w/Current.

Also, you have those particular hotkeys in the ISB42 Combat Broadcast Hotkeys keymap, so when in Chat, after you disable Key Maps so you can use your keyboard normally, they wont be available anymore because that Key Map gets disabled. If you still wanted them to be active after you disabled keymaps, then they should be in Always On. But that also has the repercussions in that you cannot turn them off, so when just using a single window, the \ and BACKSPACE would still be broadcast to everybody, and that might be annoying for other reasons.

/e
Should probably mention that BACKSPACE is normally used by ISBoxer for Assist, so it is recommended not to bind it in game, although it might be OK provided you are not using it with modifiers (e.g. CTRL/ALT/SHIFT).
<<

Swal

Post Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:49 pm

Hi Bob, thanks for the reply.

I do not want to spam anywhere, I have abilities bound to these keybinds.

BACKSPACE (G20) mapped key has a target of Window: All w/Current, so the keystroke will be sent to all windows.

Sadly it only works when I bind or in chat, else it the ability isn't triggered on press (or release).
I even tried to rebind the ability using the G20 button on my mouse (which broadcasts backspace) and it correctly bound to it. However, when I just try to press to button, nothing happens, the ability isn't used.

Whereas the \ (\) mapped key has a target of Window: Current (or self), so it will only be sent to the current window (and you might as well not have a mapped key) - it also sets a repeater target for some reason, but presumably because you really want the target to be Window: All w/Current.

I tried everything that made sense there.
Broadcast to all
Broadcast keyed map (and select it under Broadcast combat where I made a similar key to it than 1..9 etc )
Unlike Backspace, I can't even rebind my ability to \
<<

Swal

Post Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:44 pm

Okay, figured out why backspace didn't work. it was assigned as keymap for /assist {ftl}

Still can't find a solution to \
<<

bob

Post Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:36 pm

Correct. Backspace is used by ISBoxer for Assist, so as per most things, you shouldn't be trying to have two things in game bound to the same key. In this case, Assist, or whatever thing you were binding to. ISBoxer uses Backspace for this because it is not normally used in the default game bindings, and it needs a key that you are not using, with or without modifiers.

So, either change your in game bind, or change the ISBoxer assist {FTL}. It is probably easier to do the former, and then have ISBoxer REMAP so you press Backspace as the hotkey, and it sends something else, eg. CTRL+SHIT+L to the game, and what you want to happen on Backspace actually fires on CTRL+SHIFT+L

As for \. Not sure. If the game accepts it as a binding, and ISBoxer is sending \, then the assumption is it would work. But again you could potentially work around that with a Remap, so the ISBoxer hotkey is \, and it sends something else to the game which happens to trigger that ability.
<<

Swal

Post Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:27 pm

Hi,
Just wanted to give an update.

Turns out \ is not accepted as keybind and is not sent as key press either. No amount of modifier helped.

The way I managed to get it to work is by using AHK (Autohotkey) running with admin priviliges and changed \ to actually send a different key. That way I managed to get it to work in the game. (so far only for 1 client, round robin isn't working yet, but that is a different matter)
A bit of a hassle, but at least I can finally use a perfectly positioned key. Maybe this will help someone else.
<<

bob

Post Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:34 pm

Havign a UK keyboard myself, I know that ISBoxer will accept \ as a hotkey for a mapped key. Whether the game will accept it internally as a Keybind is something different.

You can easily have \ as a Hotkey in ISBoxer, and have that remap to send something completely different to the game, by setting the Key Stroke Action to send something completely different.

AHK is not required to do that.
<<

Swal

Post Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:11 am

Ok, then no clue why it doesn't work. Been using that key as a keybind in WOW for years now. IsBoxer does pick it up, I can map to it, but it doesn't get sent to the client, and the keymap is set up the same way as the other keymaps I have.

Thanks anyway.
<<

bob

Post Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:50 pm

My only suggestion would be to check the Config-CHARNAME.wtf files created in the WOW/WTF folder, and make sure that lines
Code:
SET portal "EU"
SET textLocale "enUS"
SET audioLocale "enUS"
SET agentUID "wow_enus"
are the same for the standard config.wtf as the Config-CHARNAME.wtf files.

(don't use my values, just there to show).

Return to Key Maps