FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

How to Properly Setup a Keybind?

Moderator: MiRai

<<

bgarisn

Post Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:10 pm

How to Properly Setup a Keybind?

Hi all,

I'm struggling with the -proper- way to setup keybinds using ISBoxer (I'm using ver 42.3.207.1)

There are several places in ISBoxer that I've found where it specifies a key for an action.

Under Game Helpers there are keybinds for the macro set Quick Setup 42

Code:
World of Warcraft
    -> Macro Sets
        -> Quick Setup 42
            /assist {FTL} ...
            /console reloadui

Then under Key Maps there are more hotkeys:

Code:
Key Maps
    -> ISB42 Base Hotkeys
        -> Mapped Keys (bottom menu)
            -> Follow Me
            etc.   
    -> Custom Hotkeys

And then there is Variable Keystrokes

Code:
Variable Keystrokes
    -> Move Forward
    -> Invite Team

So is there a good description / tutorial somewhere that I can read / watch to understand how an ISBoxer keybind relates to an in-game keybind?

Also, if i hit "Clear" in the file menu to try and get back the default Game Helpers/Key Maps/Variable Keystrokes, how do I get them back?

Thanks!
<<

MiRai

Vibrant Videographer

Post Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:10 pm

Re: How to Properly Setup a Keybind?

bgarisn wrote:So is there a good description / tutorial somewhere that I can read / watch to understand how an ISBoxer keybind relates to an in-game keybind?

There isn't anywhere that covers all of those things you list above in one place, no, but there are Wiki entries on all of them:

http://isboxer.com/wiki/World_of_Warcraft_Macro_Library
http://isboxer.com/wiki/Mapped_Key
http://isboxer.com/wiki/Variable_Keystroke

As for the "proper" way, that depends on what you're trying to do since there are usually several ways to accomplish basic things in ISBoxer. However, in reference to what you're asking, you would create a Mapped Key that is assigned a Hotkey, add the applicable Actions to the Step(s) of it, and then assign the keys you'd like to send to the game client (i.e. an in-game keybind). Without writing out a novel about all the possible uses and applications, I'd ask that you be more specific in what you're looking to do and then it might be easier to go from there, but perhaps the above links will answer your question(s).

bgarisn wrote:Also, if i hit "Clear" in the file menu to try and get back the default Game Helpers/Key Maps/Variable Keystrokes, how do I get them back?

Either re-run the Quick Setup Wizard, or choose not to clear them when prompted.
<<

bob

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:23 pm

bgarisn wrote:Also, if i hit "Clear" in the file menu to try and get back the default Game Helpers/Key Maps/Variable Keystrokes, how do I get them back?
This is the easy bit to answer. You run the Quick Setup Wizard (in the Wizards Menu) and it will regenerate a profile with all the gubbins.

As for where Keybinds go, it depends on what they are for. Is there a good description... Sure on the Wiki. Does it give you answers to your question in a succeinct way. Probably not. It's a work in progress.

But here goes.
Game Helpers -> these are related to game specific configuration, and the Key Combination setting here relates to a specific in game bind for the macro or function that is being configured.

Variable Keystrokes -> These are designed so you can Name a game action action. They are useful because you can set different keystroke values for the same variable keystroke, and this can be set at the Character Set, Character Slot, or Character level (and even all three), and even via a Mapped Key Action (so they can dynamically change as you play). For the most part, that are used for Targeting party members with the F1 - F6 keys where for each party member the specific keystroke does not always target the same party member for every toon in the group. For WoW players, these tend to have little benefit as it's macro system does the actions that Variable Keystrokes solves for other MMO's.

Keystroke Actions -> The bread and butter of a value to be sent tot he game to trigger something.

So, where do you put a key combination which will be sent to the game. The short answer is It depends one what you are trying to achieve, but for the most part, it will be a Keystroke Action in a mapped key.

Now all the above is not to be confused with HotKeys in ISBoxer, which are a key value you press which then does something. Which can be to send keystrokes to the game (and they may or may not match the actual key you pressed); or it can be to dynamically something inside your ISBoxer config (such as Enable/Disable broadcasting).

Grasping the difference between a Hotkey and a Key Combination is a necessary part of using ISBoxer effectively.
<<

bgarisn

Post Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:41 pm

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction guys.

I'll study up on this a bit more. I just wasn't sure where to start.

Grasping the difference between a Hotkey and a Key Combination is a necessary part of using ISBoxer effectively.

I think this is the essence of my problem. More study is needed...

Thanks!
<<

Tantrumus

Post Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:52 am

@Mirai,

Thanks for your videos I am a new purchaser and started several days ago. I took several years away from WoW and was an avid Pwnboxer user. I had that up and running in several hours to my liking.

@Bob/Mirai...

I am severely struggling (Like OP) with how busy ISBoxer is on the keymaps, mapped keys, hotkey this hotkey that.

Like above it's very frustrating.

I'm not the type that wants too crazy a setup just:

Follow me
Attack what I'm attakcing
Jump when I jump

etc.

I have ONE hotkey "3" that I want to press and hold and also have the slave do that.

The ONLY way this works is to have Key Broadcasting turned on.,

When that is on Every key I hit makes the slave do the same things.

All I want is the driver to have full control with slave in tow... and when I hit 3 and hold it the slave presses and holds the same key.

Seems like something that should be easy but I cannot figure this kind of thing out either. There are SO many options surrounding hotkeys that its hard to just make something simple or to understand how to do so.

Is there a way within the documentation for "SELECTIVE" key brodcasting vs. global broadcasting as I am dealing with...

Any help would be greatly apprecaited.

TY for the above links I will look at those.
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:10 am

I think really what you're missing is the quicker start guide....

I'm not the type that wants too crazy a setup just:

Follow me
Attack what I'm attakcing
Jump when I jump

etc.

I have ONE hotkey "3" that I want to press and hold and also have the slave do that.

The ONLY way this works is to have Key Broadcasting turned on.,

Turn Broadcasting Mode OFF. Key Maps should be on (Shift+Alt+M).
http://isboxer.com/wiki/WoW:Quicker_Start_Guide#Part_4:_Enter_the_game_world

Follow is part of the guide, as is attack what you're attacking.

Jump when you jump, you will need to add a Hotkey to "All Jump" under "ISB42 - Base Hotkeys". By default it does not have a Hotkey, so you can put Space if you want space to always do it, or for example Ctrl+Space if you don't want space to always make your whole team jump.
<<

Alge

Post Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:17 am

And for the press and hold 3, make a Straight Key Broadcast Mapped Key using the Mapped Key Wizard, making sure to tick the check box for "Hold broadcasted keys while you hold the hotkey".

If you already have a Hotkey that broadcasts 3 (such a Mapped Key may have been created by the Quick Setup Wizard), then you just need to select the Mapped Key in the bottom left pane of ISBoxer and set the option for "Hold any Keystroke Actions while Hotkey is held" to ON, in the bottom right pane.
<<

Tantrumus

Post Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:34 pm

Thanks guys will look at that tonight :)

I feel so much better now that I found the wiki!
<<

Tantrumus

Post Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:11 pm

So frustrated many F bombs.

Cannot get this !@#%$@$#%^ to work.

Not ONE simple keymap will go to the other toon.

ONLY way I get anything to work is turn broadcasting on and thats like every keystroke i press ....

This shouldnt be so hard.
<<

Alge

Post Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:18 pm

Share your configuration for better support. At least that way we can rule out some possible errors.

Also, give me the name of your Character Set and a Mapped Key which is not being sent to your other character.
Next

Return to Key Maps