FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

[SOLVED] Key strokes passing when Key Maps are off

Moderator: MiRai

<<

Rok

Post Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:40 pm

[SOLVED] Key strokes passing when Key Maps are off

I just returned to ISBoxer after about 8 months, and even though I used to 5-box dungeons, including healing and tanking, with Video FX, now it feels that everything has evaporated from my memory. I'm back to frustration trying to figure something very simple out.

I have followed the instructions on the Activate Maps wiki page, and added 3 key map groups that weren't there already, and that weren't "Toggle" or "Always On". Yet, when I set Key Maps off, then start entering a password in one window, or even random letters, some letters still pass through to the other 2 windows. I don't understand, and it's driving me angry. Why doesn't Key Maps off just simply work. And even after quite complicated changes that I'll never remember off the top of head for long, why is it still not working?

This is affecting all chat in the game, too. Typing chat lines is so slow and sluggish, and produces spaces everywhere, even when Key Maps is off.

The profile is attached. Please help me before I break something.

UPDATE: Had to configure keybindings in sensitive and careful two different ways in "ISB42 - Combat Broadcast" and "ISB42 - Combat Broadcast Hotkeys".
Last edited by Rok on Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Rok

Post Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:53 pm

Re: Key strokes passing when Key Maps are off

And I vaguely remember that I didn't even have to put too many keybindings into ISBoxer. There was this green bar that I adjusted and synched in all game windows, then, with all keybindings being identical in all game instances, and without even using the inefficient default keybindings, ISBoxer automatically passed through the spells. I'm not sure that's what happened without me putting the spell bar keybindings into ISBoxer, but that's what I remember. And I was never a clicker; the spells passed through using mouse-wheel and keyboard shortcuts. I thought I did this in InnerSpace, but I can't quite find any setting for it now. It's just...all gone. Maybe 10 hours of watching videos and troubleshooting here on the forums...all gone.

And now InnerSpace shuts down, but ISBoxer Toolkit refuses to respond to Exit. Had to End Task.
<<

Rok

Post Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:58 pm

And again, ISBoxer messed up my login details, specifically the sub-account. Now I have 4 sub-accounts, each are part of an email address. And the reason this happened is that in the Quick Wizard, the form accepts the sub-account (called "Acount Name?") before the Battle.net account (the email address), whereas, for more than 10 years, I've entered the email first, then the sub-account (if needed), when logging into the game.
<<

bob

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:28 pm

The current update to the toolkit does do things a little differently and there are a few more key maps than before.

Your supplied profile doesn't contain any extra Key Maps over and above the ones which are generated during the Quick Setup Wizard, so the Wizard setup should be fine, and work as advertised. Basically you don't put hotkeys on the mapped keys in the Key Maps which don't have Hotkeys in the name of the Key Map The Activate Maps only disables the Key Maps which have Hotkeys in the name because those are where the Hotkeys to trigger ISBoxer mapped keys go (with the exception of the Always On, which as the name suggests, don't get turned off - although there are a few others that don't get turned off either, such as Toggles, Party, Combat Broadcast and WoW).

The only thing I can see is that you have put a hotkey on the ISB42 - Toggles -> Activate Maps (all windows) mapped key, when this hotkey is supposed to be on the ISB42 - Always On -> Activate Maps mapped key. Not that it would make much difference as it would also work in the Key Map you do have it.

In some ways, the best place to start would be to clear your profile, re-run the Quick Setup Wizard and go from there.

Rok wrote:There was this green bar that I adjusted and synched in all game windows, then, with all keybindings being identical in all game instances, and without even using the inefficient default keybindings, ISBoxer automatically passed through the spells. I'm not sure that's what happened without me putting the spell bar keybindings into ISBoxer, but that's what I remember.
The green bar overlay is not gone, it is just not displayed by default anymore. A lot of enquiries were about how to get rid of it, so the default was changed to not have it by default. If you want it, tick the option on the last page of the Wizard. If you don't want it, do tick that option, and the behaviour of the 1 to = keys will still be there regardless (unless you select not to have those too).

Rok wrote:but ISBoxer Toolkit refuses to respond to Exit. Had to End Task.
This does happen some times. Not sure why, haven't managed to track it down. Most of the time it doesn't do this, but on the odd occasion it does.

Rok wrote:ISBoxer messed up my login details, specifically the sub-account.
You don't have to enter this in your ISBoxer profile, and in some cases it is better if you don't. ISBoxer reads this information from the config.wtf when auto-detecting characters, which with some recent changes that Blizzard made, no longer stores per character settings, so this value may be read incorrectly. If you do want to store it in your profile, you may need to select each character in the top left of ISBoxer and set the sub account yourself.
<<

Rok

Post Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:05 am

Exactly, Bob. That's what I thought, that I didn't really add that much new, certainly not a group of hotkeys or a new key map. One of the reasons I got frustrated and annoyed.

And yes, I thought as much, that I probably removed the shortcut from here and put it there, but on second though, I didn't feel like there was a difference.

And that's also what I did: I just restarted the wizard and created a completely new profile with absolutely no changes from my end. I left the default settings, all of them, as they were shown. Still didn't work! I turn Key Maps off, and while typing the password in one window, I can see asterisks in the other windows!

Please find this simple, untouched profile attached. I really want to know what the problem is, because this is not just affecting password entry; it's affecting chat, and I have to deal with feverish speed-running pricks a lot in dungeons, even accusations of botting, so I need to be able to smoothly and quickly type chat lines, without the other characters casting spells over and over again while doing so. I even tried the Chat Mode, but it doesn't help!

About the green bar: Does it allow me to pass through my personal keybindings for the main spell bar 1? I don't do any clicking on the bar; that's why I'm asking. If it passes through keyboard key pushes and mouse-wheel, then I'll happily use it and it'll probably save me a lot of time adding certain keybindings to ISBoxer. Come to think of it...maybe I have to anyway, as many of the spells require "Broadcast and Assist" if I'm remembering the settings correctly.

And regarding the sub-accounts, I realize it's optional as it says in the form, but I just like the convenience of having it there, so I can minimize typing when I start the game, just for convenience. But I guess I should pick the characters from the list, or enter the optional details later after going through the wizard.

Thank you very much for trying to help me with this, and responding so soon. It helps me a lot, at least with my feelings of frustration.

UPDATE: Forgot to mention: I do not use the world's normal keyboard layout QWERTY; I use a keyboard layout called Workman Layout, still obscure unfortunately and requires a download from Github to work on Windows. I don't know if this is affecting ISBoxer or contributing to my issues, but I thought I should mention it in case it is.
Attachments
Simple Triple Warlocks.xml
(289.13 KiB) Downloaded 563 times
<<

Rok

Post Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:23 am

By the way, I don't know if this will help, but I noticed something, but didn't think to share it until now, even though, come to think of it, I reckon that it can shed some bright light on the matter: Not all keys are passed through.

As I said in my update above, I don't use QWERTY, but I'll share the QWERTY equivalents or the hardware keys that are passing through:
Q, U, O, G, L, M.

And in the Workman layout, these keys are, respectively:
Q, F, P, G, O, L.

And that's it. All other alphabetical letters are not passing through to the other windows.

Does that help or give us a hint what's going on here?
<<

Rok

Post Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:36 am

Hmm...yes, it does, it does shed at least some light on the matter.

These are the shortcuts or keys that I personally added! And even if I create a new profile via the wizard, those keys are borrowed from perhaps what ISBoxer saves as my favorite keybindings or something.

And now that I checked a non-letter, the 0 (zero) is also passing through! But not 1, or 2, or 3! Because I never added 1, or 2, or 3, as I don't use them; however, they're in ISBoxer by default. The way they were added to the program makes those other numbers not pass through.

But the way I added my keybindings, makes them pass through. I can already see the pattern and the differences between the default way and the way of my personal keybindings. It's not gonna be easy or quick for me to figure out how to add keybindings the default way, but until anyone more knowledgeable replies, I'll keep trying.
<<

Rok

Post Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:10 am

Re: [SOLVED] Key strokes passing when Key Maps are off

After 3.25 hours, I figured it out and finished my desired configuration.

I had to configure keybindings in two different, sensitive and careful ways in 1. ISB42 - Combat Broadcast, and 2. ISB42 - Combat Broadcast Hotkeys.

Even MiRai's video from 2012 doesn't go through this process, because things changed, of course; but it's such a critical, make-it-or-break-it process for anyone who is not using the default 1, 2, 3, etc., keybindings on the main spell bar.

Anyway, I'm sure any smart user who encounters the same issue and reads the description for both of the above Key Maps (groups), will figure it out. As mentioned, it takes a long, long time to finish the process accurately for 2 spell bars, but one hopes you only have to do it once, and you're good to go with any multiboxing new group you form thereafter.

Thanks again for trying to help me, and I hope that the details (or walls of text, depending on your perspective) that I posted will also help you, as developers and admins, to help others faster. Maybe even improve the software so it's less complicated. I fully acknowledge that ISBoxer is super powerful, and that's where all this complexity stems from. But as Einstein said, genius is simple. I can guarantee that if you hire a "usability expert", maybe for cheap from a freelancing website or something, and he has the least amount of knowledge about WoW, or even MMOs generally, he will open your eyes to ways to simplify the program, even make it intuitive, while not sacrificing an iota of its power and configurability. And I can almost guarantee to you that if ISBoxer becomes 80% easier to use (and it can!), the number of people using it and loving it will soar, along with profits, naturally.

From my perspective as a user with some basic understanding of marketing, I can tell that ISBoxer has absolutely no other obstacle to explode with more success: just the degree of its user-friendliness, intuitive use, and ease of use. You have everything else...supportive developer(s) and moderators, lovely videos, an intricate Wiki, albeit in need of tiny updates here and there, and a Porsche engine of a piece of software. All that's left is how easy it is to use. An excellent book that explains the basics of what I'm talking about is Don't Make Me Think, by Steve Krug.

Thank you again. And talk to you again about a smoother issue. =)

Return to Key Maps