FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

simple keymap question i hope

Moderator: MiRai

<<

alptraum

Post Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:34 pm

simple keymap question i hope

OK bought the software love it, but sadly spend more time trying to get it to do what I want then I do raf'ing my new teams...i've spent way to much time standing in a dungeon unable to get my team to follow or stop following me, so now im asking for some help on what i hope is really simple to setup.

Im running jamba & Isboxer no other addons, I have my jamba teams setup, and my master selected, and all the alts as slaves..no problems there.

Everyone follows my master most of the time when i hit alt+f no problem.... however when I want this pack of freeloader xp moochers to stop so I can safely destroy half a dungeon at a time ...im unable to get them to stop.

I see there is a keymap called Others turn Left (ctrl+J) however i am unable to get this to work, do i need to drag it down into my character sets, or how do i enable the prebuilt keymaps ? any help greatly appreciated
<<

Hermes2

Post Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:39 am

Re: simple keymap question i hope

Yeah, that's how I started out. It's just a matter of understanding how the keymaps work, after which all this stuff will make sense and you'll be able to design mapping strategies at will.

To make my slaves stop following, I just mapped the DOWN arrow key to send the S key (the back button in WSAD) to all the slave windows, which makes them break follow. If you tap it, they just stop in place without stepping back. To build on this, adjust the keymap so that when you hold down the DOWN key, it sends a held-down S key to the slaves, which lets you make them step backwards to whatever distance you want. (This is useful for making them move back when they are too close to the mobs by mistake.)

Then I did the same thing with the UP arrow key to send W to all the slaves to make them step forward when needed. This way you can move your slaves forwards or backwards out of various problems like fire, instead of hitting follow to make them come to you. (The DPS casters tend to not be facing the mobs afterwards, so you've got to fiddle around with their positioning while healing the tank and tanking the mobs all at the same time. Not good.)

Slightly more advanced: Since all my slaves are casters (non-melee), I have S sent to them on my tank's first attack, which stops them a little bit back as my tank moves forward into the mobs. This prevents many problems with the slaves.

The only downside to doing this is that you have to make your slaves follow you after every battle. I don't have much of a problem with this though, it's pretty simple to hit the 1 key every time. (I mapped the 1 key to make all my slaves follow. I don't use any of the autofollow functions of Jamba--I find it to be annoying.)
<<

Ualaa

Grandmaster Guidesmith

Post Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:18 pm

I would set up independent slave movement hotkeys (mapped keys).

My guide, in the written guide section has an example of this in the Keymap section.

Basically, open IS Boxer Toolkit, and check out the (General) mapped key for "Other's Jump".
It has a hotkey of Control Space, and sends Space to: Windows All Without Current.

You are essentially doing the same as this key.
By default you have WASD and the Arrow Keys as movement keys.
Whichever you use most often for movement with the main, I would recommend not using that set of keys.
So in my case, I occasionally use WASDQE for the master/main toon.
And decided on the arrow keys, as my slave movement keys.

Create a mapped key for each arrow key.
Have the corresponding arrow key as the hotkey to activate the mapped key.
Have it send the arrow key to all of the other windows (but not the current window).

It is up to you, if you'd like the turning arrow keys to turn the team (for fine movement control), or if you'd prefer for those keys to Strafe the team (which will be useful later on, when they have to move out of puddles of acid and such).
I've toyed around with using Home (Forward), End (Back), Insert (Turn Left), Page Up (Turn Right), Delete (Strafe Left) and Page Down (Strafe Right), but have not made that switch in my configuration yet.
Streaming in 720p HD: www.twitch.tv/ualaa
<<

Hermes2

Post Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:39 am

Another example of the usefulness of doing the above, is to push your slaves forward into instance portals. Most of the time they break follow after the tank enters, and stop before crossing the threshold. Enter with your tank and hold UP to force them to walk in.

Return to Key Maps