FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Mapped Key Step States... walkthrough?

Moderator: MiRai

<<

gair

Post Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:29 pm

Mapped Key Step States... walkthrough?

Any good posts are video's showing how to use " Mapped Key Step States" properly?
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:57 pm

Re: Mapped Key Step States... walkthrough?

A Step is either on or off. If it's off, then when it would have been activated it will get skipped as if it did not exist, and instead activate the next available Step. Each Step starts on by default, but can be turned off by a check box. Mapped Key Step State Action can modify the state of any Step of a Mapped Key -- the same options that can be configured at the top of each Step. This Action can also activate on a timer, since enabling or disabling a Step can't send anything to the game. So, for example, you can have a Step turn itself off with a Mapped Key Step State Action, and turn itself back on in some number of seconds with another Mapped Key Step State Action (like after the cooldown has passed for an ability that this Step uses).

"Do not advance to the next step" means it will stay on the current step when you hit the Hotkey. You can qualify that statement by adding "for at least ___ seconds" which means however many times you hit the hotkey, for that amount of time, it will remain on this step. Furthermore, you can tell it to only activate the Step once even if you hit the button multiple times during that time -- this is useful for not interrupting your casting if activating the Step again would do that.

If you want to describe basically what you want to do, I might be able to point you in the right direction though.
<<

gair

Post Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:49 pm

As usual, a quick reply. Thanks Lax.

Your explanation helps a great deal, but I'll give an example in case you want to add anything else.

As usual I've been back and forth between games, and now trying to pick Everquest back up after 6 months or so. My current rotation works, but just looking for ways to improve, increase readability, etc.

Using a 2 step approach, say after casting a spell, I'm using the MappedKeyStepAction to set the Step Adjustment to the first step, after a certain time period (whatever refresh is for spell). The next action (also a MappedKeyStepAction ) sets the next step to step 2, which basically "holds" all key presses with a "do not advance".

This works fine, but I'm thinking I can clean this up with MappedKeyStepState.
<<

firescue17

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:21 am

This is a flowchart of my Ranger's spellcasting DPS Rotation. The Ranger is set up with three spell sets:
  1. Combat Spam: Melee - This is the default DPS Rotation. It uses the biggest nukes available, regardless of the resist.
  2. Combat Spam: Cold - This DPS Rotation uses only Cold spells.
  3. Combat Spam: Fire - This DPS Rotation uses only Fire spells.

"Combat Spam: Melee" is a six-step DPS Rotation:
  • Step 1: Fire resist clicky.
  • Step 2 - 5: The two biggest Cold and Fire spells for a total of 4 separate spells and cooldowns.
  • Step 6: The terminal step is the Summer's line which has no cooldown. If Steps 1 through 5 are all disabled, the DPS Rotation will hold and repeat Step 6 indefinitely until one of the other steps comes off cooldown.

Image 01

The first five steps are mirror images of each other. Step 6 is slightly different since there is no recast.

STEPS 1 through 5:
ACTION 1: Grey Highlight
This Action resets the appropriate timer pool per the item or spell cooldown.

ACTIONS 2 & 4:
These Actions disable the Step States in the appropriate DPS Rotations. Since the abilities are linked across two different Rotations, the Steps States need to be disabled in both Rotations:
Fire abilities disable "Combat Spam: Fire" and the generic "Combat Spam: Melee" as indicated by the Actions shaded in red.
Cold abilities disable "Combat Spam: Cold" and the generic "Combat Spam: Melee" as indicated by the Actions shaded in blue.

ACTIONS 3 & 5:
Actions 3 and 5 are the matching paired Actions to enable the Step States upon expiration of the Timer Pool which was reset in Action 1. The Fire clicky has a 3.5 minute cooldown: ((3.5 minutes * 60 seconds) + 1 second for latency) = 211 seconds. The cast spells are on separate timers (Nuke 01, Nuke 02, Nuke 03, Nuke 04) and do not lock each other out; however, all have a 32-second cooldown.

ACTION 6: Purple Highlight
This Action turns off the DPS Key Map for the full duration of the activation time to prevent the Character from attempting to execute a new action prior to finishing the first one (Wait Time).

ACTION 7: Yellow Highlight
This is the actual Keybind which gets sent to the game to activate the in-game social.

Action 8:
This is a simple pop-up text for troubleshooting purposes.

STEP 6:
Since this step has no cooldown time, there are no Timer Pool Actions. Just the Keybind and the Wait Time.

HOW DOES IT WORK?
  1. Keypress #1 activates the Fire Clicky, disables the Step, and sets the Timer to not cast the clicky again for 211 seconds.
  2. Keypress #2 casts Nuke 01, disables the Step, and sets a 32-second timer to re-enable the Step.
  3. Keypress #3 casts Nuke 02, disables the Step, and sets a 32-second timer to re-enable the step.
  4. Keypress #4 casts Nuke 03, disables the Step, and sets a 32-second timer to re-enable the Step.
  5. Keypress #5 casts Nuke 04, disables the Step, and sets a 32-second timer to re-enable the Step.
  6. Keypress #6 ... All the good abilities are down. Summer's Dew will be spammed over and over until one of the above 5 steps is re-enabled.

More discussion can be found here in the thread which prompted the implementation of Step State Actions.
Last edited by firescue17 on Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.
<<

firescue17

Post Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:17 pm

Video added above.
<<

gair

Post Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:50 pm

Great write up and video firescue17.

I have some serious studying and implementing to do. Looking forward to it.
<<

MiRai

Vibrant Videographer

Post Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:08 pm

firescue17 wrote:Video added above.

I liked it. Good stuff. ;)
<<

Norrin

Post Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:44 pm

That brought with it all kinds of inspiration.
Very good stuff like usual.
<<

aiedz

Post Mon May 18, 2015 6:30 am

firescue17 wrote:
ACTION 6: Purple Highlight
This Action turns off the DPS Key Map for the full duration of the activation time to prevent the Character from attempting to execute a new action prior to finishing the first one (Wait Time).

I think i understand most of what is happening here, however, What is in the actual key-map for "Disable Combat: 04" I assume that this removes the character from an ATG and puts it back in 4 seconds?
ie:
leave group 'dps-melee' -> self
join 'dps-melee' -> self -> 4 seconds
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Mon May 18, 2015 6:43 am

What is in the actual key-map for "Disable Combat: 04" I assume that this removes the character from an ATG and puts it back in 4 seconds?

As you quoted, it says .. "turns off the DPS Key Map". I'm pretty sure he's describing a Key Map State Action, not a Target Group Action.

However, if you design your setup in such a way that temporary removal from an ATG accomplishes what you're looking for, it is a valid option.
Next

Return to Key Maps