FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

"Trigger only once" checkbox clarification?

Moderator: MiRai

<<

Finney

Post Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:11 pm

"Trigger only once" checkbox clarification?

Hi,

I'm tweaking my rotations and I've gotten confused about what the "trigger only once" checkbox actually does. I found an earlier post on the board where it was explained that these steps would be activated:
Any time the Step is reset by the reset options, advances to the next, or is set via a Mapped Key Step Action, this flag is reset. In other words, any time a given Step is selected as the active Step to be executed.

With that in mind, I set up a mapped key rotation like this:
    (Advanced: Reset to step 1 after 20 seconds from first hotkey press)
  • Step 1: buff spell that lasts 20 sec, instant cast: set as do not advance to next step for at least 1.5s (GCD), trigger only once
  • Step 2: Instant cast builder spell: set as do not advance to next step for at least 1.5s (GCD)
  • Step 3: Instant cast builder spell: set as do not advance to next step for at least 1.5s (GCD)
  • Step 4: 2 sec cast finisher spell: set as do not advance to next step for at least 2s
The rotation lasts 5 seconds after step 1, so I'd expect to get off about 4 rotations before Step 1 kicks in again because of the “Reset to step 1 after 20 seconds from first hotkey press” setting combined with "trigger only once" in Step 1.

However, that is not what happens. It makes no difference whether or not I check "trigger only once"--the 20 second buff is applied every time through.

So I'm not understanding what "trigger only once" does or what purpose it serves.

Could someone explain?

Thanks!
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:46 pm

Re: "Trigger only once" checkbox clarification?

It triggers once... per time in that Step. It does not mean that it will only trigger once ever. The point is that you have "do not advance to next step for at least 1.5s", so you're expecting to maybe hit the key more than one time within that 1.5 seconds. What this setting does is make it only trigger the first time you press the key, and not the following time. This same behavior repeats any time the key is reset to Step 1 by any method.

It sounds like you want a 5th Step with a Mapped Key Step Action to set the current Step to 2.
<<

Skarling

Post Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:27 am

Here is how I deal with DoTs and buffs in my rotation. Lets use your rotation for example and lets call it "DPS Rotation".

First of all remove (Advanced: Reset to step 1 after 20 seconds from first hotkey press) from "DPS Rotation"

Then, create a separate mapped key for your buff, lets call it "Buff". It will have two steps

Step 1: To self - Do buff spell that lasts 20 sec, instant cast: set as do not advance to next step for at least 1.5s (GCD), set it to trigger only once (not really necessary as long as you dont recast it within same GCD)
Step 2: To self - Keymap Action -> New Mapped Key Step Action -> select "DPS Rotation" in Mapped Keys and set "Add 1" in Step Adjustment. Also, set this step to not advance to next step for at least 18.5s (20-1.5=18.5). do not use "trigger once" here.

In the Advanced: Reset to step 1 after 20 seconds from first key press.

Now in your DPS rotation in Step 1 do this mapped key "Buff", set it to not advance to next step for at least 1.5s as well to allow for buff to go off when its up. (I assume step adjustment "Add 1" overrides this setting when "Buff" mapped key is on Step 2)

what will happen now - you dps rotation will do steps in the order you list them, your buff and other spells will be cast, the rotation will loop then and hit "Buff" again, but "Buff" will be on its Step 2 already and so it will tell the Isboxer to go next step in the rotation instead of re-casting buff. After 20 sec are up, you will recast your buff.

Finally, in Advanced tab of your "DPS Rotation" choose a time interval for Reset to Step 1 after LAST keypress to have the rotation reset itself after combat (I chose 4 secs).

If you plan to use your DoTs in a similar manner, you'd also need a mapped key that manually resets both your "Dps Rotation" and "DoT" mapped key to Step 1 (also via New Mapped Key Step Action) so that you are able to cast dots on a new mob. Personally I do it within an "Assist" mapped key (I have auto-assist disabled to manage aggro)

Hope this helps
<<

Finney

Post Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:08 am

Thanks for the prompt replies. Now I get what the checkbox does--I think I never realized the need for it because the GCD or other active cast was masking the hotkey that was getting hit more than once per step. I'm guessing though I've been doing things like recasting channels and not realizing it.

The ideas for tweaking the rotation are appreciated. Even after about 6 months with the software, there are still a lot of things to learn. So what Lax mentions for handling the buff refresh is easy to implement. If I understand that correctly I'd have a step or action at the end of the rotation that essentially skips the buff that starts everything and I'd rely on the advanced reset setting to get "back to" the buff.

Skarling, your solution is a bit more complex (I had to actually build the rotation as you described to see what was going on), but it does have one advantage if I'm reading it right: the buff can be anywhere in the rotation I want and when it "comes around" it will simply skip over the calling step if its delay hasn't passed.

Thinking about it, that technique is great for any spell that has a cooldown or duration and you want to skip it whenever it comes up if the duration hasn't passed, and the spell itself is kind of "self-contained": i.e., once you build the mapped key for the spell/buff, instead of calling the hotkey directly, any time you want to use it you just call the mapped key. It knows no matter where you're calling it from that it's not ready to reapply.

Only drawback is the "Buff" mapped key is only written skip a step in one calling mapped key (DPS Rotation Step -> Mapped Buff Key step advances DPS Rotation's Step -> DPS Rotation continues). Say you're trying to call the buff from another rotation--such as "AOE DPS Rotation"--you would need to create another mapped key for the same buff, only this time you'd advance the "AOE DPS Rotation" step.

Perhaps to prevent the proliferation of a bunch of mapped keys to serve the same buff from different mapped keys, that step could have actions that advance any calling mapped keys, so the step that currently advances only the DPS Rotation could also have an action to advance the AOE DPS Rotation? I wonder if that would screw things up. Guess it's time to do some testing.
<<

Finney

Post Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:11 am

OK so some quick testing...

Instead of "Add 1" in the step adjustment, I'm using "Add 0": Apparently by the time the buff mapped key is called by the core rotation, it's already incremented its counter, so "Add 1" makes it skip the next step. Add 0 makes it hit it.

Consequently, since we're doing Add 0, we don't care what the calling core rotation is. We can Add 0 to any mapped key and it won't hurt anything. So these mapped keys for durations truly can be self-contained.

I've found that if I want to put 2 of these mapped buff-type keys back-to-back, I need to put in a "normal" step between them to get them to act correctly--still investigating why that is.

Of course, what this all adds up to is now I can build true priority-based rotations. If a spell is on cooldown, it just goes to the next spell. Yeah there will be a few wasted keypresses, and a bit of downtime, but I mash keys fast and I'm not worried about min-maxing in a multibox. I'll save that for single-box stuff.

The real downside is now I'm going to need to rework all of my rotations for two pretty well-developed 5-man teams!
<<

Skarling

Post Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:42 am

Glad to be of help Finney :)

On you notes above - yeah - you do have to be quick-pressing any rotation that has ADD or SKIP step action, the more so if you have several of them (like I do). At some point I had to use "press OR release" function on spam key.

Re mapped key spells called by several rotaions (like AoE) - correct, you'd just add actions that advance all relevant rotations to your one Buff mapped key (in my case I advance AoE, Trash, Elite and Boss rotations). As long as you have a separate "reset" key that puts all of your rotations to back step 1, you should be fine.

I was using "add 1" instead of "add 0" and have not had any issues... I think.... Please let me know what you find after more experimenting (it has been a while since I checked it myself).

As I mentioned, I am primarily using this method for applying dots and debuffs - most of these spells have no cd and you really want to recast them only when the dot/debuff expires, however I also used it alot in in Lotro where you are not even allowed to have macros so you build your rotations manually spell by spell.

Have fun :)

INCORRECT EDIT - on this "add 1" or "add 0" issue. I think +1 works better when you allow for longer spell execution time in your rotatation step. if you have 2.2 sec cast, I'd normally set "do not advance to next step" as 2.5 or even longer in my rotation, and 2.2s in a mapped key for this spell (followed by the "skip to +1" step). When you get to the "skip" action, your rotation will not wait for 2.5 secs to advance to next step but will go there immediately when you press the button. On the oher hand if you have short cast time and GCD you may just be better off having a blank step instead of "skip to +1" or "skip +0" if you can live with the pause of 1.5 secs that the rotation will be stuck for on your buff key without "skip" override. I could be wrong though and will do some testing as well.

EDIT 2 - Hmm, ignore first EDIT - I ran a quick test and you absolutely correct - for some reason "+1" in a step makes Isboxer skip and next step too. Also, "add to step" does not overwrite the restriction imposed by the "do not advance to next step" and the rotation is stuck for this time.... I was not boxing recently and cannot say if has always been the case (I thought not!)... I do want this corrected - it will speed up rotations significantly!
Surprisingly, if instead of "add+1" I choose "set to" step action pointing to the next step in the rotation, it is skipping it too (so if I do "set to step 2" it will set the rotation to step 3 instead). Bug?
<<

firescue17

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:14 pm

Finney wrote:If a spell is on cooldown, it just goes to the next spell. Yeah there will be a few wasted keypresses, and a bit of downtime ...

This is what I refer to as a Cascading Combat Chain. It runs on Timers Pools and 2 Hotkeys.

All Step Sets are determined by One or Two Timer Pools. If the Combat Action is a top level action (Green) it only requires a single Timer Pool. If the Combat Action is nested (Dark Blue), it requires two Timer Pools, one for the cooldown (Red) and a second for the duration (Orange).

"Do Not Advance" does not work when jumping from Mapped Key to Mapped Key. In order to work around this, I call a Mapped Key "Disable Combat" (Yellow). This Mapped Key turns off the DPS Rotation to the Character for X seconds; however long it takes the Character to complete the action.

The Chain terminates with a generic "Combat Skills." This is an ability which has no cooldown and is always available. In this manner, if every single other action has been used up and is on cooldown, Do DPS Rotation will cascade down the entire list and fire that generic skill.

I set up the Combat Stances in the following manner:
  1. "Burn" contains special abilities which have a cooldown greater than 15 minutes.
  2. "Balanced" contains any *special* ability with a cooldown between instant re-use and 15 minutes.
  3. "Passive" contains basic auto-attack, spell casting, or other non-essential abilities which don't have a significant impact on DPS.

2018-03-25: Fixed broken image links and typos.
Last edited by firescue17 on Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:56 pm, edited 4 times in total.
<<

Skarling

Post Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:43 pm

I am pretty sure something got mixed up in recent updates, and Isboxer now views step 1 as step 0, step 2 as step 1, and so on.

here is a simple test key that should be outputting UHELLO keystrokes (each letter is a separate step, and then going to step 2 ("set to" action as last step) and outputting HELLO again and again. Instead it does ELLO ELLO.

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<Box xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema">
  <ObjectType>ISBoxer_Toolkit.Configs.KeyMaps.MappedKey</ObjectType>
  <SerializedObject>&lt;?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?&gt;
&lt;MappedKey xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema"&gt;
  &lt;Name&gt;Test&lt;/Name&gt;
  &lt;Description /&gt;
  &lt;Combo&gt;
    &lt;Combo&gt;Num -&lt;/Combo&gt;
    &lt;Modifiers&gt;None&lt;/Modifiers&gt;
    &lt;Key&gt;
      &lt;Key&gt;Num -&lt;/Key&gt;
      &lt;Code&gt;74&lt;/Code&gt;
    &lt;/Key&gt;
  &lt;/Combo&gt;
  &lt;SendNextClickBlockLocal&gt;false&lt;/SendNextClickBlockLocal&gt;
  &lt;ManualLoad&gt;false&lt;/ManualLoad&gt;
  &lt;ResetTimer&gt;0.1&lt;/ResetTimer&gt;
  &lt;ResetType&gt;Never&lt;/ResetType&gt;
  &lt;Mode&gt;Default&lt;/Mode&gt;
  &lt;Steps&gt;
    &lt;Step&gt;
      &lt;Stick&gt;0&lt;/Stick&gt;
      &lt;Stop&gt;false&lt;/Stop&gt;
      &lt;Stump&gt;false&lt;/Stump&gt;
      &lt;Actions&gt;
        &lt;MappedKeyAction xsi:type="Keystroke"&gt;
          &lt;Target&gt;self&lt;/Target&gt;
          &lt;Combo&gt;
            &lt;Combo&gt;U&lt;/Combo&gt;
            &lt;Key&gt;
              &lt;Key&gt;U&lt;/Key&gt;
              &lt;Code&gt;22&lt;/Code&gt;
            &lt;/Key&gt;
          &lt;/Combo&gt;
          &lt;RoundRobin&gt;false&lt;/RoundRobin&gt;
          &lt;UseFTLModifiers&gt;false&lt;/UseFTLModifiers&gt;
        &lt;/MappedKeyAction&gt;
      &lt;/Actions&gt;
    &lt;/Step&gt;
    &lt;Step&gt;
      &lt;Actions&gt;
          &lt;Combo&gt;
            &lt;Combo&gt;H&lt;/Combo&gt;
            &lt;Key&gt;
              &lt;Key&gt;H&lt;/Key&gt;
              &lt;Code&gt;35&lt;/Code&gt;
            &lt;/Key&gt;
          &lt;/Combo&gt;
        &lt;/MappedKeyAction&gt;
      &lt;/Actions&gt;
    &lt;/Step&gt;
    &lt;Step&gt;
      &lt;Actions&gt;
          &lt;Combo&gt;
            &lt;Combo&gt;E&lt;/Combo&gt;
            &lt;Key&gt;
              &lt;Key&gt;E&lt;/Key&gt;
              &lt;Code&gt;18&lt;/Code&gt;
            &lt;/Key&gt;
          &lt;/Combo&gt;
        &lt;/MappedKeyAction&gt;
      &lt;/Actions&gt;
    &lt;/Step&gt;
    &lt;Step&gt;
      &lt;Actions&gt;
          &lt;Combo&gt;
            &lt;Combo&gt;L&lt;/Combo&gt;
            &lt;Key&gt;
              &lt;Key&gt;L&lt;/Key&gt;
              &lt;Code&gt;38&lt;/Code&gt;
            &lt;/Key&gt;
          &lt;/Combo&gt;
        &lt;/MappedKeyAction&gt;
      &lt;/Actions&gt;
    &lt;/Step&gt;
    &lt;Step&gt;
      &lt;Actions&gt;
          &lt;Combo&gt;
            &lt;Combo&gt;L&lt;/Combo&gt;
            &lt;Key&gt;
              &lt;Key&gt;L&lt;/Key&gt;
              &lt;Code&gt;38&lt;/Code&gt;
            &lt;/Key&gt;
          &lt;/Combo&gt;
        &lt;/MappedKeyAction&gt;
      &lt;/Actions&gt;
    &lt;/Step&gt;
    &lt;Step&gt;
      &lt;Actions&gt;
          &lt;Combo&gt;
            &lt;Combo&gt;O&lt;/Combo&gt;
            &lt;Key&gt;
              &lt;Key&gt;O&lt;/Key&gt;
              &lt;Code&gt;24&lt;/Code&gt;
            &lt;/Key&gt;
          &lt;/Combo&gt;
        &lt;/MappedKeyAction&gt;
      &lt;/Actions&gt;
    &lt;/Step&gt;
    &lt;Step&gt;
      &lt;Actions&gt;
        &lt;MappedKeyAction xsi:type="MappedKeyStepAction"&gt;
          &lt;MappedKey&gt;
            &lt;KeyMapString&gt;System Keymap&lt;/KeyMapString&gt;
            &lt;MappedKeyString&gt;Test&lt;/MappedKeyString&gt;
          &lt;/MappedKey&gt;
          &lt;Action&gt;Set&lt;/Action&gt;
          &lt;Value&gt;2&lt;/Value&gt;
        &lt;/MappedKeyAction&gt;
      &lt;/Actions&gt;
    &lt;/Step&gt;
  &lt;/Steps&gt;
&lt;/MappedKey&gt;</SerializedObject>
</Box>

P.S Firescue 17 - can you link your chart in greater resolution please? I am very interested in your concept
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:08 pm

I am pretty sure something got mixed up in recent updates, and Isboxer now views step 1 as step 0, step 2 as step 1, and so on.

here is a simple test key that should be outputting UHELLO keystrokes (each letter is a separate step, and then going to step 2 ("set to" action as last step) and outputting HELLO again and again. Instead it does ELLO ELLO.

Nope, actually what I would say is happening is the Step is naturally advancing after being Set to 2. If you check the "Do not advance" box on your Step with the Mapped Key Step Action, it will stay on what you set it to as desired
<<

firescue17

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:13 pm

The image in the original post should now link to a full size download.
Next

Return to Key Maps