FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

New at multi, need help with assist and follow

Moderator: MiRai

<<

Jeski

Post Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:43 pm

New at multi, need help with assist and follow

I am brand new to multi-boxing. I have been using a very primitive macro to assist and follow but it causes many mistakes. I have tried and tried for hours to get the key mapped ones to work. But frankly I have no idea what I am doing. If someone could tell me whats wrong I would learn so much.

http://privatepaste.com/2dcd3c1bdc

Jeski
<<

Alge

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:53 pm

Re: New at multi, need help with assist and follow

You skipped Step 3 in the description of the of the Assist Me and Follow Me Mapped Keys. You need to set up Variable Keystrokes per Character Slot as shown in MiRai's video.

Additionally, we have no way of knowing whether you set things up in EQ correctly. See this recent post for additional info. Of course you would need to set your Follow Social in EQ to Num1 and your Assist Social to Num2, rather than what I mention in that post.

Finally, when requesting help, it would be very helpful if you could give some more information than just "it doesn't work". Tell us what are doing (what key you are pressing), what behaviour you expect and what behaviour you are seeing. Otherwise, even with a config, we are guessing how it doesn't work.
<<

Jeski

Post Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:08 pm

Thank you for posting so quickly and I am sorry for not being very clear. I will watch that video right now, I was trying to do it from isboxer wiki.
<<

Jeski

Post Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:21 am

Re: New at multi, STILL need help with assist and follow

Ok I watched the video, i looked at the article (sorta helpful, I am trying to get this going on Aion not eq), but I am still coming up short. My problems have progressed. Now when I push the buttons instead of nothing nothing it toggels between my Slot 1 and their mage pet. I have have look a hundered times and the pet is not in the other slots positions. What I want to happen is JUST what MaRia video did, but as much as I try I am muddling it up. I am terribly new at this so I will post my config. agian and if there is something that you need to know, please ask, seeing I'm not sure what else to tell. All I want is them to follow and assist. I do know that there is no follow command in Aion so have made the macro but nothing. Thanks in advance for any and all help

Jeski

http://www.privatepaste.com/f55847a876
<<

Alge

Post Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:52 am

I'm going to assume you are trying this with the Character Set "Aion2" because the "AionCleric" Character Set has no Variable Keystrokes set up.

Now globally (under the main Variable Keystrokes bit of ISBoxer) you have Follow Target set to Num 7 and Assist Target set to Num 8 but under the Aion2 Character Set you have Follow Target set to Ctrl+- and Assist Target set to Ctrl+=. That means that in Aion you must to have it set up so that Ctrl+- follows the targeted character and Ctrl+= assists the targeted character (whether that is through a keybinding or a keybound macro) because the more-specific Variable Keystrokes override the more general ones. If instead, in Aion Num 7 follows the targeted character and Num 8 assists the targeted character then you need to delete the Variable Keystrokes for Follow Target and Assist Target under the Aion2 Character Set.

Other than that it looks to be set up correctly.

The issue with targeting the pet may be because that is the behaviour of the function keys in Aion (they toggle between targeting a player and their pet). I don't play that game so have no way to check.

Now when I push the buttons instead of nothing nothing it toggels between my Slot 1 and their mage pet. I have have look a hundered times and the pet is not in the other slots positions.
Which button(s)? Which character is active at the time? Does any following or assisting occur?
<<

Jeski

Post Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:12 am

Ok I am still having problems. Its seems like isboxer is not recognizing the key press. I am trying to get it to work on my naga mouse with the side keys assigned to the third action bar. I know the mouse works with the game, I have checked on a single account, and it SEEMS like I have it working with isboxer because I have a key bound for them others to turn left, that works. But when I try to get it to use the mouse keys bound as Ctrl+-(follow me) and Ctrl+= (Assist me) the result is less the stunning. Ctrl+- will target me(great! progress from last nite, but it also targets my pet when pressed agian :( ) but it does not activate the macro I guess. ( On macros, the one I make in game should it just be /follow. Or /follow Target? Right now my ghetto setup which only follows my Slot 1 targets Slot 1 toon and then /follows. I thought it would be just /follow because then isboxer would take care of the toon to follow.) My Ctrl+= does not seem to work at all except to STILL cycle between my target and my pet. I have looked all thru the bindings in game and select pet IS NOT bound to anything. Now I have clicked all the keys w/o the mouse, I am not as stupid to over look that. Still I get nothing. The only way I can describe it is the "buttons" arent getting pushed. All I want is for it to work like MiRai's video. The team being able to follow each other. Again if there is any other question about something I did not realize needed to be done, or info that would be useful just let me know. I guess it is worth mentioning that it does take action on all but the current window. Did I mess something up somewhere while I was fumbling around the program? And did I give enuf info this time? My set is Aion2, the AionClerics will be set up if I ever figure it out. A last question, is there something else I need to do to make it so shfit+Alt+I invite all my slots to a party? Is it not working tied in with this? It would be great for that to work, and my husband is on me to figure it out :D

Edit: I thought maybe some knowledge on the Targeting in Aion. Basicaly its ends up doing what I have set up. F1=current toon F2=Group Member 1 F3- Group Member 2 F4= group member 3 and F5 group member 4 (theres only 5 to a group in Aion, Im running 4 right now)

Jeski

http://www.privatepaste.com/6af994dd26
<<

Alge

Post Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:51 am

Skip to the end for what I need you to do to help me resolve this issue...

Jeski wrote:Ok I am still having problems. Its seems like isboxer is not recognizing the key press.

Which key press?

I am trying to get it to work on my naga mouse with the side keys assigned to the third action bar. I know the mouse works with the game, I have checked on a single account, and it SEEMS like I have it working with isboxer because I have a key bound for them others to turn left, that works. But when I try to get it to use the mouse keys bound as Ctrl+-(follow me) and Ctrl+= (Assist me) the result is less the stunning. Ctrl+- will target me(great! progress from last nite, but it also targets my pet when pressed agian :( ) but it does not activate the macro I guess.

Ignore the mouse. That is potentially a whole other issue. Just test it using a normal keyboard. When we have it working you can worry about the mouse.

( On macros, the one I make in game should it just be /follow. Or /follow Target? Right now my ghetto setup which only follows my Slot 1 targets Slot 1 toon and then /follows. I thought it would be just /follow because then isboxer would take care of the toon to follow.)

Yes, the macro you make in Aion should just be /follow. ISBoxer handles the targeting of the character to follow.

My Ctrl+= does not seem to work at all except to STILL cycle between my target and my pet. I have looked all thru the bindings in game and select pet IS NOT bound to anything.

In some games, and I suspect Aion is one of them, hitting F2 (as an example) will target Group Member 2 the first time and then Group Member 2's pet the second time it is pressed. The normal way around this is to clear the target completely between successive presses of F2. I suepect the behaviour you are seeing when you press Ctrl+= is because your assist macro does not work but more about that below...

Now I have clicked all the keys w/o the mouse, I am not as stupid to over look that. Still I get nothing. The only way I can describe it is the "buttons" arent getting pushed. All I want is for it to work like MiRai's video. The team being able to follow each other. Again if there is any other question about something I did not realize needed to be done, or info that would be useful just let me know. I guess it is worth mentioning that it does take action on all but the current window.

What "takes action" on all but the current window? You lost me. Are we still talking about Assist? Anyway, again, see below for what I need you to do.

Procedures to be followed and questions I need answered:

1. Make sure the character in Slot 1 is active. Press Shift+Alt+M to turn off Key Maps. Target another character in your party which is a distance away with the mouse and press Ctrl+- on your keyboard. Does your Slot 1 character now follow the other character you had targeted? The answer to this question tells whether your /follow macro works correctly. If the answer is "Yes", confirm the same is true for each of the other Character slots and then move on to Step 2. If the answer is "No", you need to fix the follow macro in Aion before proceeding.

2. On the character in Slot 2, target some convenient NPC using the mouse. Then switch back to the character in Slot 1. Press Shift+Alt+M until Key Maps are off. Press F2 (only once) to target the character in Slot 2. Press Ctrl+= on your keyboard. Has your Slot 1 character now targeted the convenient NPC that Slot 2 had targeted? If the answer is "Yes", confirm the same is true for each of the other Character slots and then move on to Step 3. If the answer is "No" you need to fix the assist macro in Aion before proceeding.

3. Make sure all of your characters have no target selected. Switch to the character in Slot 1. Move away from the rest of you party a short distance. Ensure Key Maps are on (Shift+Alt+M toggles them). Now press Ctrl+- on your keyboard. Do all of the other characters follow the character in Slot 1? If "Yes", repeat the procedure for each of the other character slots (i.e. try to follow each slot in turn). Do all Slots follow all Slots? If "No", which slots fail to follow which slots?

4. Make sure all of your characters have no target selected. Switch to the character in Slot 1. Target a convenient NPC. Ensure Key Maps are on (Shift+Alt+M toggles them). Now press Ctrl+= on your keyboard. Do all of the other character slots now have the same NPC targeted? If "Yes", confirm the same behaviour happens when each of the other slots targets a character and you press Ctrl+=. If "No", which slots fail to assist which slots?

5. If you have got this far without a "No" then any issues are either to do with your mouse or the result of the strange pet-targeting behaviour.
<<

Jeski

Post Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:48 pm

Alge, thank you so much. I have it working except for one small thing. Which really is small but it puts a dent in my plans. It wont work with a key modifier. Ctrl+- didnt work, I had to change it to -. Its like that on all of the slots. It just seems like the modifier wont work. An example(well the reason I caught it) is when I had it set to Ctrl+-, it tried to summon a pet that was on the - in the first action bar. Also when i try to use the Shift+Alt+I to invite it does not work (I thought that is might be connected). {As an after thought I double checked, the modifier Ctrl works for the All-Jump. But thats the only thing I have got it to work on}

You were also talking about how if you press the target button a second time (like F2) it would target the pet. Aion does do that. What do I do to stop it. It does not always become an issue, but every once in a while on slot will be targeting the pet and all the others are on the assist target.
Edit: It seems like i always have to push it twice to get the targets target, the first time the pet always comes up.

Agian, thank you so much for your help. My targeting was messy, but now it is spot on. I was so positive I was right about it, and when i did change it, i obviously did not think it all the way thru. Your steps helped a ton. I haven't been here long but I dont think anyone else would have put up with me. I am so very grateful.

http://www.privatepaste.com/b2e178e741
<<

Alge

Post Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:33 pm

Glad you have it (partially) working. I'm about to go out and will be out all day. I'll respond to your other questions when I can. (or someone else will)
<<

Alge

Post Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:24 am

Jeski wrote:Alge, thank you so much. I have it working except for one small thing. Which really is small but it puts a dent in my plans. It wont work with a key modifier. Ctrl+- didnt work, I had to change it to -. Its like that on all of the slots. It just seems like the modifier wont work. An example(well the reason I caught it) is when I had it set to Ctrl+-, it tried to summon a pet that was on the - in the first action bar. Also when i try to use the Shift+Alt+I to invite it does not work (I thought that is might be connected). {As an after thought I double checked, the modifier Ctrl works for the All-Jump. But thats the only thing I have got it to work on}

I suspect that Aion is one of those games (another notable example is swtor) that handles modifiers differently. This means that if you have a Mapped Key which sends a Key Combination involving a modifier to Aion, you need to enable the "Hold any Keystroke Actions while Hotkey is Held" option for that Mapped Key. Unfortunately that is not an option for the Follow Me and Assist Me Mapped Keys as they must be 2 step Mapped Keys which activate when pressed or released. The solution as you have discovered is to change your Variable Keystrokes to a single key (without a modifier). I'd suggest finding two keys that are not bound by Aion by default and using those. One of the higher F keys or a number pad key are good choices. Note the key you press on your keyboard (called a Hotkey by ISBoxer) for the Follow Me and Assist Me Mapped Keys does not need to match the Variable Keystrokes. You can leave those as Ctrl+- and Ctrl+= and you do not need to set any options for Hotkeys that contain modifiers.

You were also talking about how if you press the target button a second time (like F2) it would target the pet. Aion does do that. What do I do to stop it. It does not always become an issue, but every once in a while on slot will be targeting the pet and all the others are on the assist target.
Edit: It seems like i always have to push it twice to get the targets target, the first time the pet always comes up.

I'm not entirely sure. One way would involve clearing your target first maybe. I'd suggest posting in the Aion forum to see what others have come up with.

Your question about Shift+Alt+I confuses me as that is only available in the WoW setup due to WoW's addon and macro system. I suspect the easiest way is just manual invites for Aion but again I'd suggest posting in the Aion forum to find out if anyone else has solved this problem.

Return to Key Maps