FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

First of many Questions

Moderator: MiRai

<<

krazykow

Post Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:27 am

First of many Questions

I am sure I will be posting many questions, unfortunately. I have watched the videos and read a lot of posts on dual-boxing about ISboxer. Now I am ready to get it setup - beyond just the basic wizard. I am struggling to get started.

For example, I want to get my first DPS key setup.

I would like to do this - copying from Ualaa:
Spam "1" (Press)
- Slaves assist the Master
- Do Mapped Key - Mind Freeze - All DK's
- Do Mapped Key > DK Howling Blast > Target: The DK (Action Target Group).
- Sends IWT to toons in the Melee Group.

Spam "1" (Release)
- Do Mapped Key > DK Howling Blast > Target: The DK (ATG)
- Do Mapped Key > DK Frost Strike > Target: The DK (ATG)
- Do Mapped Key > DK Necrotic Strike > Target: The DK (ATG)
- Do Mapped Key > DK Death Coil > Target: The DK (ATG)
[Note: Howling Blast is the sole ability called on Key Down; on Key Up, each ability has an equal chance to be called].

So I created a new mapped key. I created an Action under Step 1. The action is:
Do New Map Key
Target: DK_Melee (ATG)
Key Map: NO IDEA. Should I just select FTL DPS Keys? want the actions to be triggerd once I hit the 1 key on my keyboard
Mapped Key: DPS1 - I guess this is correct to fire off the spell in the 1 key

So if this works, It would only fire whatever ability or spell is in 1 on my keybindings in WOW. It would not do everything above in the quotes.

Can you kindly give me a step by step walk through of how to setup the actions in the quotes. I guess after that, I will be able to figure out a lot more on my own.
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:16 am

Re: First of many Questions

Sometimes you get to learn how to fill in some holes yourself ;) Ualaa doesn't tell you which Key Map to put it in because a Key Map is just a collection of Mapped Keys and technically you can make your own, or you can put it in an existing one made by the wizard. There are pros and cons to doing either -- if you make your own Key Map for example it will not be toggled by the default Key Maps toggle unless you add it, and if you put it in "FTL DPS Keys" it will be used by every Character Set you keep in this particular ISBoxer profile (you can keep multiples when it would help, and Export the one you need at the time).

If you're going to set this up in FTL DPS Keys, just modify the DPS 1 Mapped Key that is already there.

So here's how to do that:
1. In the top left pane, under Key Maps, select FTL DPS Keys
2. In the bottom left pane, under Mapped Keys, select DPS 1. You can expand it too while you're at it, so under it you see Steps, 1.
3. With DPS 1 selected in the bottom left pane, look in the bottom right pane for the "Execute a Step when the Hotkey is ____" drop-down box, and set it to "pressed OR released". This is because we're adding a second Step, and we want the first step to happen when we press the button, and the second step to happen when we release the button.
4. Right click on "Steps" and select "New Step". There is now 2 steps and it will behave as described in 3.
5. In the bottom left pane, select Step 1. (the 1 under Steps, under DPS 1)
6. At this point you want to look in the bottom right pane and add Actions to the Step(s) to match the abilities Ualaa detailed. Assist is already part of DPS 1. The next part of DPS 1 is 1->all. You can drop that and add new Keystroke Actions that activate whatever abilities you need in each step. Ualaa suggests separate Mapped Keys for each of Mind Freeze, Howling Blast, etc, using Do Mapped Key Actions instead. (To go that route, make sure your individual Mapped Keys do that ability to Window:Current, i.e. Howling Blast mapped key sends to self, and then the Do Mapped Key Action is used to send Howling Blast to additional windows). He suggests this method because if you just add a bunch of Keystroke Actions, they will get merged together -- so if you have 2 Keystroke Actions, Alt+1 followed by Shift+F4, and they go to the same window, that window is going to get Alt+1+Shift+F4, and could potentially trigger Alt+F4. By moving those keys into their own Mapped Key, and using Do Mapped Key Action, they will not be combined and the window would get instead Alt+1, and then Shift+F4.

To add a new Action, just right click Actions and find the type of Action from the list. Each kind of Action has different fields to fill out, for example Keystrokes you tell it where to send a keystroke, and what keystroke to send. To delete an Action, right click it in the list and select Delete. You can re-order the actions from the right click menu as well, or hold Alt and press Up/Down to move them more quickly.

Hope this points you in the right direction :)
<<

krazykow

Post Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:50 am

Thank you Lax. It helps explain it to me. A follow up question about creating my own mapped keys to include in key maps. Do the mapped keys which fire off the spells I want to use need to be:

1. On an action bar in wow and
2: have key bindings set for them and
3: wow key binding should be same for all chars in DK group?

If my understanding is correct, I prob need to start by making key bindings and action bars setup right and then do the isboxer config
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:41 am

There's (again) more than one answer, with different pros and cons. :)

The least confusing way for most people to set this up is basically as you have described. Fill your Action Bars with your needed abilities and have the same key bindings in the game for each window (if you'd prefer to broadcast clicks on certain Action Bar buttons, that is fine too). Like if Death Grip is on 2 for one guy, it should be on 2 for all of them.

Another way of doing that: ISBoxer includes a WoW Macro Library system that, if you are comfortable with the in-game macro system, you can have ISBoxer create and key bind macros for you on keys you don't need to press yourself (like I go through ctrl+shift+alt+y through ctrl+shift+alt+p, etc). It's very awesome for people who are comfortable with WoW's macro system, but writing macros is very confusing to many people. You can use a Named WoW Macro Action to perform a macro from the library. The Named WoW Macro Actions shouldn't get combined like the previously described Keystroke Actions, so it should be safe to chain all of these in the same Step without using separate Mapped Keys with Do Mapped Key Actions. And, since these macros are only active while playing with ISBoxer, your normal gameplay without ISBoxer can be completely unaffected by whatever you set up. That would not necessarily be the case if you are specially rearranging your Action Bars or setting up multiboxing macros through the in-game Macro system. :)
<<

krazykow

Post Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:48 am

Oh wow Lax, this tool gets more awesome, but more complicated by the minute. However, I think I would prefer to use the macro solution within isboxer for the various benefits you outlined. I am not very comfortable with the macros, but I can see a simple solution here. How would this work?

Write simple macros for each ability.
MACRO: Mind Freeze would be: /cast Mind Freeze

Then I can call that macro in my key maps without having to worry about if the mind freeze ability is in slot 1, 2,3 ......or whatever.

Would that work out? Could a simple one line macro for each ability work and do I need to enhance anything in it like:
[combat] or anything special?
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:00 am

Yes, just "/cast mind freeze" is fine as the macro.

My combat macros have additional stuff to:
1. Temporarily disable the sound/voice when you don't have enough energy/mana/rage/runes/whatever
2. Avoid a WoW bug/feature where the game will automatically pick a different target for you if you use an ability if you have a corpse targeted (or perhaps nothing targeted at all)
3. Begin auto-attacking even if the ability is not ready yet (on most of the macros, not on some of them)

So here's my Mind Freeze macro:
Code:
/stopmacro [target=target,noexists] [noharm] [dead]
/startattack

/click ErrorsOFF

/cast Mind Freeze

/click ErrorsON

The /click ErrorsOFF and /click ErrorsON activate other WoW macros I have created, which do...
ErrorsOFF:
Code:
/script UIErrorsFrame:UnregisterEvent("UI_ERROR_MESSAGE");
/console Sound_EnableSFX 0

ErrorsON:
Code:
/script UIErrorsFrame:RegisterEvent("UI_ERROR_MESSAGE");
/console Sound_EnableSFX 1

I've actually been meaning to share some of this stuff, I can give you my whole set of DK macros that covers Blood and Frost, but not Unholy. ;)
<<

krazykow

Post Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:54 am

Awesome. I would love to see your set of Blood and Frost macros.

Thanks Lax
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:48 pm

<<

krazykow

Post Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:24 pm

Hi Lax,

I think I have it mostly setup now. The macros are added and I created one Key Map.

Key 1 will fire off a spell when depressed and fire off some other spells when key is released.

Now here are a couple more noob questions:

1. I configured IWT to a key and that seems to work. When I press it all the DKs rush in and do melee.
I created a key map for the 1 key by modifying the default DPS 1. This will trigger an event when depressed and several actions when released. In playing with the target dummy, those abilities were not happening. There is nothing in my 1 slot on the action bars. How can I call the key map to trigger off the events? The macros I added to your DK macros do not have key combinations configured for them. Since they are macros, I figured I do not need that.??

2. I use the mouse for moving the camera angle and sometime running with the main. Mouse broadcasting is turned on my default and that is breaking follow. Do you recommend not using mouse for moving and camera and / or turning off broadcasting. I wanted to try to use mouse left click IWT

3. How do I make wasd qe for the main char only (to move) and use arrow keys for slaves only. I know that must have been answered before.

Thank you sincerely for the help, macros and time to support me :oops:
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:43 pm

Thank you sincerely for the help, macros and time to support me :oops:

You make it sound like this is just for you! :) I write detailed step by step guides with handy links for good reason -- someone else is going to search and find this post or my new macros post, or I can direct someone else here when they ask me a question, and I even link to threads from the wiki. All of this is very valuable not only to you, but many other customers :)

Turn off "Broadcasting everything" 99% of the time. This is recommended by all of our Quick Start Guides. At that point, adding slave movement with arrow keys is super easy, you can use Many New Mapped Keys to generate some Mapped Keys for you (you just press the arrow buttons, tell it where to go -- all other windows? -- and click OK). You will need to enable "Hold any Keystrokes while the Hotkey is held" on these Mapped Keys, in order for your characters to move.

I created a key map for the 1 key by modifying the default DPS 1. This will trigger an event when depressed and several actions when released.

A common newbie mistake is to use the standard Interact with Target mapped key, from the General Key Map, via Do Mapped Key Action in a DPS button. This will not work because of a timing issue with temporarily enabling Click to Move in the IWT Mapped Key. In order to put IWT on a DPS key, you should:
1. Permanently enable Click to Move in the game
2. Disable (e.g. remove) the "Click to Move OFF" Action in Step 2 of the Standard IWT Mapped Key.

You can then either use this with Do Mapped Key Action, or a Keystroke Action (to do the key you have configured as IWT), or a Variable Keystroke Action (if you have Interact With Target configured as a Variable Keystroke)

The macros I added to your DK macros do not have key combinations configured for them. Since they are macros, I figured I do not need that.??

You figure incorrectly, ISBoxer needs a way to fire off your macro. That means either a Key Combination it can press, (a Named WoW Macro Action will press this Key Combination) or a name for /click that you can only use from another macro via /click <name>. (You still have to fire off some macro with a key combo for that to happen)
Next

Return to Key Maps