FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Assisting main in Everquest

Moderator: MiRai

<<

dakim

Post Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:00 pm

Assisting main in Everquest

Hi guys, i'm really trying to figure out how to make a key map for assisting the main window, I read that you can use the FTL to do that for WOW, but i'm playing everquest 1 and would love to know if anyone has figured this out.
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:00 am

Re: Assisting main in Everquest

Last I knew, EverQuest has a severely limited system of configuring hotkeyed macros. The easiest thing to do is to pick one leader and hope for the best with your /assist and /follow macros.

The "FTL" system we use in WoW and also RIFT (detailed explanation that answers this exact question, but for RIFT: RIFT: Basic Multiboxing Macros Walkthrough) requires a different follow macro, and a different assist macro, for each character you want the others to follow or assist. With WoW and RIFT, we condense these different macros all into one Hotkey, with different modifiers to correspond to a given Character. So, ISBoxer might send Shift+F11 to follow guy 1, but Alt+F11 to follow guy 2, and it just automatically picks which one of these based on which window you're hitting your Follow hotkey from.

If I had to try to do the same thing in EverQuest, here's what I might be inclined to do...

1. Configure a different Hotbutton page per Character I want to lead, complete with their own /follow and /assist macros always assigned to the same number as on the other pages.
2. In my Character Set, per Slot, have ISBoxer broadcast Shift+# to the other windows to select the Hotbutton page for this specific Character

This is the simplest method I can think of in order to get what you are asking, in EverQuest. This method does have limitations, obviously if you have a lot of characters you want to lead with this does not scale up. But on the other hand it can also be fixed up a bit on the fly (by manually editing the macros in the game to match your characters at the time, etc)

You can also get more complex. Some games you actually have to target party members with F2 through F6 or whatnot and then hit a /follow macro or hotkey, because the system does not support putting a name in your follow macro, or having multiple follow macros is otherwise difficult to do. This can be adapted to EverQuest and can eliminate some of the scaling issues (e.g. by not specifically naming your characters in your EQ macros), but is harder to configure in ISBoxer. After all, the hotkey to target a specific character in your party depends entirely on who else is in your party.

Return to Key Maps