FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Is this allowed?

Moderator: MiRai

<<

lofblad

Post Tue May 24, 2011 7:30 am

Is this allowed?

I've started to get to know ISBoxer over the last week or so, and I'm having a lot of fun with all the features for my wow boxing teams. It's really a powerful piece of software, and I've probably only tried out about 10% of it, or at least that's how it seems right now.

I have one question though; Are all the functions of ISBoxer that you can implement, especially for a wow boxing team, 100% allowed? I'm thinking about two things in particular, the steps feature and the part where you can delay between two steps.

I remember we used to be able to make pretty powerful macros in wow using castsequence. The castsequence command used to function so that if a skill couldn't be executed in turn, for example if it was on cooldown or the right conditions weren't met, the macro would just go on to the next skill in the sequence.

Blizzard changed it to the state we have now, which is so that a castsequence macro gets stuck on whatever skill is next until it can be cast. Until then, it just sits there doing nothing until reset and/or the right conditions are met so the skill can be cast. The line '/castsequence Arcane Blast, Arcane Missiles' would never go any further if the AM proc didn't happen on that first AB.

However, it seems that with ISBoxer we can circumvent this change, using steps. With steps and calls between dps key maps, you can construct a one key click that executes whatever skill is available when it becomes available, a behavior that seems to me Blizzard wanted to avoid.

The other thing, the delay between the steps executing is something we used to accomplish by inserting commas in a castsequence. You used to be able to insert enough commas in a macro so that each click you did to step through the commas would time the macro to other macros for example. '/castsequence skill1, , , , , , , , , , , , , , skill2', where skill2 would execute after a delay determined by the click speed of the macro user.

This was also changed by Blizzard, as all macros now ignore whichever number of commas we put in them. Also something that ISB allows through the delay between step executions.

Is this something to be concerned about?
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Tue May 24, 2011 8:16 am

Re: Is this allowed?

Categorically, the answer is no, you do not need to be concerned about these features.

dual-boxing.com had the same discussions back when the changes to /castsequence (usually interpreted as /click changes there). Several times, actually ;)

The argument always reduces to "Game does not provide feature X, therefore feature X must be bannable", and then the obvious response is that broadcasting alone fits that bill.

Example: ISBoxer provides different reset options for Steps than WoW provides on /castsequences.
And here's the argument: "ISBoxer allows resetting to the first step after 10 seconds even if you're still hitting the key, whereas with WoW you have to not hit the key in order for the reset to happen, and therefore this type of reset must be a bannable offense".

On the other hand, if ISBoxer were to determine information about the state of the game (like which spells were available, or if things were off cooldown) and use that in order to control which step you are on, that'd be botting and is against the ToU. Likewise, if it auto-fired for you, that would be automation and also against the ToU. Neither of these things are possible to do through ISBoxer. (Side note: the Steel Series Cataclysm keyboard, Blizzard logo and all, specifically promotes its autofire feature for WoW)

Even if you were to want to get banned simply for configuring something through ISBoxer, I wouldn't have a suggestion for you to try. You would have to go through a lot more effort than configuring a multi-step mapped key. You might have to put it in a brown paper bag and personally deliver it to Mike Morhaime's doorstep. (not recommending doing that)
<<

lofblad

Post Tue May 24, 2011 10:31 am

Good answer, thanks! Mike says hi, btw ;)
<<

Drarkan

Post Tue May 24, 2011 3:16 pm

lax wrote:(Side note: the Steel Series Cataclysm keyboard, Blizzard logo and all, specifically promotes its autofire feature for WoW)

Of course, blizzard is directly making money for it thats why. They would make botting software and sell that too, but they would be slated hyppocryts by the community. I think the TOS is set in place to prevent others from making money off of wow that players can use in the game, that they aren't getting any shares from.

Take for example. I use an addon, Carbonite. It used to be a 20 dollar addon, one time fee. This would go towards the developer(s) who spend the time into making the addon into what it is. It wasn't long however, that blizzard told them that they weren't allowed to make money off addons and were only allowed to accept donations instead, and that addons had to be free and people shouldn't feel obligated to pay for it. I dissagree with this. What if blizzard said paid multiboxing software couldn't be paid and could only be used on a donations system. Though I don't think they are allowed to do that, since the addons are embedded in the game directly, and multiboxing software is a 3rd party base, thus they can't tell you you what software to use for WOW, its like them saying use a MAC OS instead of Windows. Wouldn't fly in gamer town.

But yeah, bots are for blizzard only.

Return to Key Maps