FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Mapped Key Virtualization Action Issue

Moderator: MiRai

<<

Alge

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:33 am

Mapped Key Virtualization Action Issue

Inspired by Berserker's role bars for RIFT, I thought I'd have a go at doing something similar and teach myself about Mapped Key Virtualization at the same time.

What I am trying to do:
I have a warrior + 4 bard team in RIFT.
I made a click bar (called Spam Bar) that will allow me to switch between cadence spam and ranged DPS spam for each bard separately.
Clicking on each button of the bar is supposed to toggle that slot between the two states, with cadence being the default state.
I have one mapped key for cadence and one mapped key for ranged DPS in their own Key Map (called Bard).
I use mapped key virtualization to swap the ranged DPS mapped key in for the cadence mapped key on step 1.
I then use mapped key virtualization to do the original mapped key (which I believe should be the cadence mapped key) on step 2.

What happens:
http://privatepaste.com/1b430e43d5
Clicking on one of the 4 rogue buttons in the click bar correctly sets that bard to ranged DPS mode.
Clicking on one of the buttons a second time does not set the bard back to cadence mode if my Mapped Key Virtualization Action is set to "Do the original Mapped Key". This behaviour can be seen in the attached profile for the mapped keys Slot2SpamToggle.
However, if I make a direct copy of my cadence mapped key, e.g. copy Cadence to CadenceAgain, and virtualize to that new mapped key in step 2 of my toggle, it correctly switches back to Cadence mode. This behaviour can be seen in the attached profile for the mapped keys Slot3SpamToggle, Slot4SpamToggle and Slot5SpamToggle.
I cannot choose "Do this Mapped Key instead" and choose the original cadence mapped key in step 2 as ISBoxer seems to recognise it is the original and default back to "Do the original Mapped Key".

My questions:
Is this behaviour (not doing the original mapped key) a bug in Mapped Key Virtualization or my lack of understanding of MKV?
Is there something I am missing with how mapped key virtualization works, i.e some simpler way to set this up?

Alge

EDIT: formatting, clarity, simpler key maps after I worked out how targets for mapped keys should be set up
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:06 pm

Re: Mapped Key Virtualization Action Issue

Bug fixed in 38.2.329.1.

Something like this might be useful ...

* Key Map: Combat (hotkeys go here)
** Mapped Key: Spam

* Key Map: All Classes (no hotkeys in here, virtualize these as needed)

* Key Map: Bard (no hotkeys, these do bard-specific things)
** Mapped Key: Cadence
** Mapped Key: Ranged DPS

* Key Map: Some Other Class (no hotkeys, these do some other class-specific things)

Okay so in this example, you have your Spam hotkey, and its purpose is to "Do Spam in All Classes -> all" -- this way you dont have to have an action for each individual class (where right now you've got Do Cadence in Bards -> Bards), instead you just tell them all to do what they each think they should do. All Classes would be your base functionality, if there is no class-specific functionality. So if you want everyone else to press Num 1 or something, you could just have your Spam in All Classes do "Num 1 -> self" (Window:Current).

For virtualizing, you will have a couple options. You can override the ENTIRE KEY MAP, or individual mapped keys. If you virtualize the entire Key Map, it expects each Mapped Key to have an identically-named replacement in the new Key Map, and any that are missing will probably do nothing. But, this makes it easy to virtualize a lot of Mapped Keys at once and was a big part of what Berserker wanted in order to simplify his setup.

And then the last part of this example is that Spam in the Bard Key Map can then be virtualized as Cadence or Ranged DPS and switched back and forth. (Or ranged DPS can be the default functionality of Spam, and so on) In other words, Spam in All Classes is virtualized as Spam in Bards, and then Spam in Bards can be virtualized as Cadence or Ranged DPS, and the whole chain of virtualization applies.

As an alternative to Virtualization, which can give you a pretty awesome level of control at the cost of a little extra setup and banging head against desk, using Mapped Key on/off states can work as well. (But requires extra Actions) For example... Spam in Bards can have 2 Do Mapped Key Actions, one to do "Cadence -> self", and one to "Ranged DPS -> self", and you keep exactly one of those enabled at a time. You can set the default state of a Mapped Key to "off" in the Advanced options for the Mapped Key ("Do not load this Mapped Key ..."), and Mapped Key State Action will toggle it.
<<

Alge

Post Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:57 pm

Thanks for the bug fix and detailed reply Lax. I'll play around with it again in the very near future and incorporate some of those suggestions - the chain of virtualization idea is intriguing. I imagine I'll go through a few iterations as I sort this out. I'll try and write up what I end up with at some point.

Virtualization, which can give you a pretty awesome level of control at the cost of a little extra setup and banging head against desk

True in both respects. But it feels so good when you stop :)
<<

Alge

Post Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:38 pm

Sorry for the bump but I have a follow-up question...

If I have a mapped key (e.g. Spam in Bard in your above example) that has as its sole purpose to be virtualized (in this case either as Cadence or Ranged DPS), how do I set it up? Is it enough just to create the Spam mapped key with that name or should I also add some sort of dummy action?
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:00 pm

It doesn't need any Actions. Any Actions in that Mapped Key will be the behavior if it is NOT virtualized, so if you want a warning that it isnt virtualized for example you can use a Popup Text Action

Return to Key Maps