FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Switching Focus on Hoykey, seeing weird keydown behavior.

Moderator: MiRai

<<

MadMilitia

Post Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:35 pm

Re: Switching Focus on Hoykey, seeing weird keydown behavior.

More looking into this it may related to my toggles.

If you look at "CUSTOM - TOGGLES" you can see that I send step alter commands to the slaves, such as ST/AE toggle to set their DPS keymaps to either single target or AoE commands. In this scenario what I'm seeing is SHIFT is stuck in a down state making all of my mount macros not work. I suspect this is where SHIFT is getting stuck in the keydown state though I'm not entirely certain.

CTRL doesn't seem to be the culprit anymore. Not sure why it changed from CTRL to SHIFT and now I'm 100% certain it isn't window focus changing causing it.
<<

bob

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:40 am

So, those toggles, and then the eventual calls in the CUSTOM-COMBAT are damn hard to follow as the custom combat stuff calls each other in what I can only describe as the potential for catastrophic failure.

My main suggestion out of what I've looked at so far, is DO NOT have a Mapped Key Step Action change the current step of the same mapped key that is currently executing. Or if you do, put the thing on a timer, so the current mapped key can finish executing, before you go and change it's current active step. I don't know whether this is the underlying problem or not, but it is certainly not recommended to pull the rug out from under your feet while standing on it.
For example.
<<

MadMilitia

Post Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:52 pm

Hey Bob.

To clarify how those work I want them to stop damage and cast CC. Similar to setting a DPS key on keymap 1, and a CC key in the same spot on keymap 2 and then flipping between the two keymaps for say a couple seconds and then flipping back. And not all at once, that's why it goes to self.

To understand what you're saying it doesn't commit the actions in a block but sequentially within the step itself?

I have a lot of these resets in my keymaps so I can set an action to a step instead of creating an entirely different mapped key for it. I guess that's probably confusing then? I just didn't want my mapped key selection in a set of mapped keys to explode which is what will probably happen if I change it.

If I have to change it though then I guess that'll do.
<<

bob

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:07 pm

MadMilitia wrote:To understand what you're saying it doesn't commit the actions in a block but sequentially within the step itself?
Correct. ISBoxer the program is a script, so it will essentially run each action in a step sequentially. However, I think the issue goes further than that, in that, the behaviour of executing a step is, execute step, increment pointer to next step (or return to step 1 if current step is the last step). And yet, in the middle of all that, you are trying to set the step pointer to be a different step, while it is currently executing a different step.

I did look through the profile for a longer period and started to trace what would be happening on a key press. Even to the extent of running it and verifying the output (although I'd really need to add in some extra debugging into ISBoxer to make my understanding clearer), so I get what it is doing. There just happens to be a lot of things going on manipulating mapped key steps here there and everywhere, so it was very easy to get lost as to what would be next, and to get to the crux of your problem, what might be going on in your profile (and I'm pretty sure we can be in agreement that it is not an endemic issue with ISBoxer, but rather something quite specific to your profile), which means the SHIFT key gets stuck (it would actually help to know what you think triggers this stickiness e.g. SHFT MWHEEL ?).
<<

MadMilitia

Post Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:14 pm

bob wrote:
MadMilitia wrote:To understand what you're saying it doesn't commit the actions in a block but sequentially within the step itself?
Correct. ISBoxer the program is a script, so it will essentially run each action in a step sequentially. However, I think the issue goes further than that, in that, the behaviour of executing a step is, execute step, increment pointer to next step (or return to step 1 if current step is the last step). And yet, in the middle of all that, you are trying to set the step pointer to be a different step, while it is currently executing a different step.

I did look through the profile for a longer period and started to trace what would be happening on a key press. Even to the extent of running it and verifying the output (although I'd really need to add in some extra debugging into ISBoxer to make my understanding clearer), so I get what it is doing. There just happens to be a lot of things going on manipulating mapped key steps here there and everywhere, so it was very easy to get lost as to what would be next, and to get to the crux of your problem, what might be going on in your profile (and I'm pretty sure we can be in agreement that it is not an endemic issue with ISBoxer, but rather something quite specific to your profile), which means the SHIFT key gets stuck (it would actually help to know what you think triggers this stickiness e.g. SHFT MWHEEL ?).

So here's what I have that's new. I run 4 FX windows. During anything demanding I mouseover/broadcast a click to these FX windows like interacting with ground clickies or the mission map or banners or in combat like dropping shadowfury I find there is always a chance one of them gets a shift key down issue. Not entirely sure why the FX windows would have anything to do with that and I'm not holding down shift when I do that either.

To repeat this make your middle mouse button do something. Start spamming the combat DPS key identified in CUSTOM - ROTATIONS and then try the middle mouse button through a FX window. Then try to mount again. You should see the same problem. I just got it to happen.

I'm gonna circumvent CUSTOM-COMBAT for a moment and see if this still happens.
<<

MadMilitia

Post Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:21 pm

Circumventing CUSTOM-COMBAT did not fix the problem. I switched to a flat key instead of going through that keymap and retested the above scenario. Still a problem.
<<

MadMilitia

Post Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:29 pm

Note: I cannot say for certain at this point if shift being down is the problem. I do know when I broadcast shift down and then up it clears the issue. Maybe it's not a key down but a window focus problem?

Edit: Disabled ALL of my custom keymaps. Left only the default keymaps in the group. Went through the mentioned scenario again and found that it was still happening. Further inspection shows that doing anything in the affected windows, even just CTM will fix the issue.
<<

MadMilitia

Post Thu May 16, 2019 11:31 am

Lax, et al

I wanted to update you guys on the problem and the solution that I found.

In the attachment is a screenshot of my slot switch map. This slot switch map is to replace the hotkey map. The purpose was to find a way to fix the issue with the CTRL modifier getting stuck in the down state.
To revisit the issue was that when I used a modifier in my window focus swap (CTRL) that key would be stuck in the down position in the window I swapped out of. Meaning IS1 is focus, CTRL+2 focuses IS2, CTRL is still down in IS1.

I found that clearing it required a broadcast event to clear the key down states. But it didn't clear when repeat was activated. Rather it cleared when repeat was deactivated. Why I'm not 100% sure but it does. That's why I turn off Repeater mouse OFF keyboard OFF all other. It clears ALL modifier problems when switching windows.

Now I can CTRL+1-6 without having a problem.
Attachments
mod_down_fix_isboxer.png
mod_down_fix_isboxer.png (23.05 KiB) Viewed 4725 times
<<

Wizeowel

Post Fri May 17, 2019 8:38 am

MadMilitia wrote:Lax, et al

In the attachment is a screenshot of my slot switch map. This slot switch map is to replace the hotkey map. The purpose was to find a way to fix the issue with the CTRL modifier getting stuck in the down state.
To revisit the issue was that when I used a modifier in my window focus swap (CTRL) that key would be stuck in the down position in the window I swapped out of. Meaning IS1 is focus, CTRL+2 focuses IS2, CTRL is still down in IS1.

I found that clearing it required a broadcast event to clear the key down states. But it didn't clear when repeat was activated. Rather it cleared when repeat was deactivated. Why I'm not 100% sure but it does. That's why I turn off Repeater mouse OFF keyboard OFF all other. It clears ALL modifier problems when switching windows.

I was having this as well, but not on every slot switch. The workaround was just moving my mouse briefly into the window of the toon I'd just come from. But that's annoying when I forget in the middle of combat.

Thanks for offering another solution :-)

With me, I suspect it started happening after adding Slot Swap macros. To switch slot I am pressing e.g. ctrl-shift-4 and then the slotswap macros are bound to something like ctrl-shift-alt-F7 and -F8. The macro itself does some video setting changes, which (depending on which setting) overloads the CPU/GPU for a moment. So I guessed maybe CPU load was occasionally causing a keyup message to be ignored. Have seen similar in the past when switching between remote desktop sessions: the alt or windows key gets stuck.
<<

MadMilitia

Post Sun May 19, 2019 5:18 pm

Wizeowel wrote:
MadMilitia wrote:Lax, et al

I was having this as well, but not on every slot switch. The workaround was just moving my mouse briefly into the window of the toon I'd just come from. But that's annoying when I forget in the middle of combat.

Thanks for offering another solution :-)

With me, I suspect it started happening after adding Slot Swap macros. To switch slot I am pressing e.g. ctrl-shift-4 and then the slotswap macros are bound to something like ctrl-shift-alt-F7 and -F8. The macro itself does some video setting changes, which (depending on which setting) overloads the CPU/GPU for a moment. So I guessed maybe CPU load was occasionally causing a keyup message to be ignored. Have seen similar in the past when switching between remote desktop sessions: the alt or windows key gets stuck.

You're welcome! The good news about this change is I've not seen a single instance of a window retaining a keydown state just hitting slot switch macros and I really tried to get a replication by swapping quickly between them.

I can't remember exactly when or why mine started. I am thinking BFA pre-launch is when it started and I have ditched the profile completely and rebuilt it multiple times. Something in the new BFA build causes a window to retain keydown state when it loses focus. Not always. It's random but annoying and you wouldn't notice if your slot swap key didn't use a modifier.

I can tell you for sure it isn't your macro as I had been sending slot swaps with modifiers for years. I would have noticed something this annoying back then if it were a thing.

One other thing I've noticed is that it happens when you're outside of all isboxer windows for a bit. When I come back to the focused window some of the background windows aren't responding. I'm guessing it's the same root cause. When focus changes wow or isboxer do something strange.

Same solution, too. Just pinging the windows with broadcast or hovering over them clears the key down state.
Previous

Return to Key Maps