FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Tree of Savior (steam) - December 2018

Moderator: MiRai

<<

bob

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:14 am

Re: Tree of Savior (steam) - December 2018

Looking at the paste (both are linking to the same one, not that it'll make a huge difference), I think you'll need to test
1. with the steam game overlay disabled.
2. with Avast uninstalled (yes, this is a valid testing method).
<<

Comrade

Post Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:51 pm

Looking at the paste (both are linking to the same one, not that it'll make a huge difference), I think you'll need to test
1. with the steam game overlay disabled.
2. with Avast uninstalled (yes, this is a valid testing method).

1. I disabled the steam overlay on all accounts involved, but the same error is occuring (the 2nd, 3rd or 4th steam.exe would crash the previous steam.exe instance).
2. Uninstalled Avast completely and the same error still occurs.

I only managed to run the ideal setup twice so far (2 steam.exe pointing to 2 client_tos.exe instances and working perfectly). I haven't successfully ran 3 instances or more without steam.exe crashing. However, take note that the old method still works fine (end task on steam.exe then launch a new character slot, repeat), and I can run 4 instances with the old method, though the characters are stuck in one map. The problem may have something to do with the multi steam.exe as the game itself is stable once cloned.

Let me know if additional compatibility diagnostics or trace diagnostics is needed. I will appreciate it if this error can be fixed somehow.
<<

Comrade

Post Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:09 pm

I tested with a separate laptop and I got the same issue. I also tested it with a fresh install and I'm getting the same problem.

I'm only able to open two instances properly. When opening a 3rd instance it always results into a "Steam must be open to play this game. SteamAppinit Failed" error. Unfortunately I don't know any other multibox user for ToS so I cannot do any comparisons. I'm also not sure what else I can do to fix this problem.
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:16 pm

Okay, so, there's a detail that isn't so obvious here that might be the problem.

To be sure, here's a screenshot of me running 3 instances of Steam just now with ISBoxer...

So, what might be obvious to you after seeing this picture, but not before, is that I'm using multiple Steam accounts. It occurs to me that we've not discussed that. I understand why that would not be preferable, assuming ToS does not actually require separate Steam accounts -- the other Steam accounts would also require the game. But, you can test launching any number of Steam accounts without having anything purchased, so you could test with multiple Steam accounts and see if you get the same crashes.

Using the same account may be causing problems because multiple instances of Steam will be accessing account-specific files. ISBoxer may be able to work around that for ToS, I'll have to look into that.

Finally, each time one of these crash occurs, either Inner Space or Windows should be keeping a crash dump file. Check in your Inner Space folder for a steam.exe.dmp file -- if it exists, email to lax@lavishsoft.com. Otherwise, go to %LocalAppData%\CrashDumps (paste that into Explorer, or into the Run box Windows+R) and see if Windows has saved a steam.exe.####.dmp file, where #### is the process ID number that crashed. Similarly, you can email one of those to lax@lavishsoft.com. Windows keeps something like the last 10 crash dumps there, but just one will do ;)
<<

Comrade

Post Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:27 pm

Im actually able to replicate a multi steam.exe with no game launched, see below:

ToS requires a separate steam account for each game account (there's no login within the game, just uses steam directly), and the game also requires exclusive write access for each instance (hence the treeofsavior-1, treeofsavior-2, etc. setup). The problem occurs when actually launching the game itself (within steam, by clicking the play button), as the previously opened steam.exe clones will freeze and crash, causing the entire setup to malfunction. Here's what usually happens:

> open account1's steam.exe via innerspace (lets call this steam1)
> open account1's tos.exe via steam1
> steam1's tos.exe runs successfully
> open account2's steam.exe via innerspace (lets call this steam2)
> open account2's tos.exe via steam2
> steam2's tos.exe runs successfully
> open account3's steam.exe via innerspace (lets call this steam3)
> open account3's tos.exe via steam3
> steam1's steam.exe crashes
> steam3's tos.exe will show the "Steam is needed to run this game. SteamAppInit Failed" error

About the crash dmp file, for some reason I'm unable to find any after the fresh install. I'll do additional testing later to produce a better screenshot of the error as well as generate a dmp file.
<<

Comrade

Post Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:42 am

crash dump file sent as requested.

Below is the typical error i experience with this issue (all within innerspace):

Sometimes I'm able to run tos1 and tos2 with no issues, and then the crash occurs when opening tos3 (steam1 or steam2 will freeze), and tos3 will show the SteamAPInitfailed error.
<<

Comrade

Post Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:13 pm

I tested this on a fresh Windows 10 install but unfortunately I got the same error. I'm looking forward for this error to be fixed someday as being able to use more than 2 accounts would be amazing.
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:08 am

Okay, Steam is a pain, but I think I've finally got it. Steam x3, Tree of Savior x3, no errors and Steam continues operating.

Update ISBoxer to build 42.8.1227.1, and Inner Space to build 6380 (currently the development build of Inner Space).

After updating ISBoxer, make sure to do an Export to Inner Space. If you do not Export to Inner Space after updating, part of the Steam fixes will not apply. If Inner Space is not updated to build 6380, part of the Steam fixes will not apply.

Once you've got both, you should have no problem following the most recent procedures for launching ToS. Let me know!
<<

Comrade

Post Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:57 am

You did it! Thanks a lot for the hard work, Tree of Savior is now working perfectly as intended. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Previous

Return to Other