FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

How to get game to start when the file is not an exe.

Moderator: MiRai

<<

vtull

Post Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:14 am

How to get game to start when the file is not an exe.

Currently playing a text-based game called Gemstone4 and would like to be able to run each instance in multiple separate windows. Just like with ISBoxer/Innerspace which allows you to load games and run through their environment, Gemstone4 does as well with a ruby program called Lich. The problem is, the file used to do so (load Lich) is a ruby file called lich.rbw which is not an executable extension. Normally when I want to start GS4 through ruby, I would just double click my desktop icon (lich.rbw) and it would pull up a ruby script with all the characters to select from (I assume there is a file association in the background with the Ruby Interpreter). I would select the character and it would open an instance of the game with the correct character profile. When I try to set up the game in InnerSpace, I get the following message "Failed to execute C:\Users\Desktop\lich\lich.rbw Null Windows System Error Code 193". When I try to set Innerspace up to start the Ruby Interpreter first, it does so, but then I have found no way to have it then load Lich.rbw. Any assistance would be great.
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:20 am

Re: How to get game to start when the file is not an exe.

Inner Space and ISBoxer are not going to be incredibly useful for what you're doing because Inner Space is designed to operate on DirectX and OpenGL based games, and will appear to do nothing for a text-based game.

But to answer the question... The Inner Space loader knows how to operate on .exe files. To have a chance at working, you would definitely need to point Inner Space at ruby, and have it load lich.rbw, probably via command line parameters. I would just use google to look up what parameters would be needed.
<<

vtull

Post Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:31 am

Re: How to get game to start when the file is not an exe.

Thank you for the reply. Will try it.

Return to Other