FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

XCom Enemy Unknown = supported?

Moderator: MiRai

<<

RedMan

Post Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:46 am

XCom Enemy Unknown = supported?

I've got XCom Enemy Unknown on preorder from Steam and was wondering if I would be able to integrate that with 6 additional sessions of Everquest?

I know that it is not released yet (October 9th) but they have a playable demo available for free on Steam so was wondering if anyone tried it yet?
<<

RedMan

Post Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:25 am

Re: XCom Enemy Unknown = supported?

Working with the demo, I was able to launch this from ISBoxer but basically it just launched the game without actually taking control of the window. I must be missing something.

- Added the game to Innerspace using the innerspace interface choosing the .exe file from the binaries folder under the game's folder within the steam common folder. Default configurations all around, no changes.
- I switched the 7th slot in my Everquest character set to use the XCOM game rather than Everquest.

When launching:
- all 6 everquest instances launch and are grabbed by ISBoxer and put in their places
- XCOM launches but it's position remains unchanged by ISBoxer.

Anything obvious I should be looking into?
<<

tanker

Post Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:47 pm

This sounds like something Lax will have to look into.

Edit: I followed the steps here: http://isboxer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2096 and it appears to work. I only went part way through the tutorial, but the window is named properly and the framerate indicator appears.
<<

RedMan

Post Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:35 am

Interesting!

The other good part about this approach is that I can include steam as my 7th character in my EQ character set and still use the "launch entire char set" option. It will launch steam but not the game itself until I want to launch the game. Running 6 instances of EQ + one instance of xcom seemed to generate a lot of heat! Significantly more than just 7 EQ instances. Heat means power being consumed so between that and the likely performance hit on the EQ instances I wouldn't want to run an XCOM in the background if I didn't plan to actually use it.

Thanks for the tip. The actual game was released in North America today so I hope to get a chance to play tonight.

Return to Other