FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Megaten - Double keystrokes

Moderator: MiRai

<<

aluion

Post Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:48 am

Megaten - Double keystrokes

The full name of the game is 真・女神転生IMAGINE (Shin Megami Tensei: Imagine). I'll be calling it "Megaten" for brevity (not to mention clarity).

Basically, I'm having the same problem as described in this forum post, but with a different game. Any time I type, including at the login screen, my text is duplicated lliikkee tthhiiss. This includes movement/action keys. The interface also doesn't seem to line up properly — I have to click underneath the tab on the ISBoxer GUI in order to activate that tab. However, I haven't discovered any other issues with the game. I'm using the latest version of ISBoxer (ISboxer: Build 40 / InnerSpace Build 5513)

Hopefully, the issue is similar to that of the other thread and can be easily fixed.
If not, then I hope it can be fixed, at least. :D
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:17 am

Re: Megaten - Double keystrokes

Free to download, free to play. http://megaten.aeriagames.com/ Yep, I can probably fix that no problem :)

I'll take a look.
<<

aluion

Post Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:56 am

Thanks. That was fast!

lax wrote:Yep, I can probably fix that no problem :)

Fingers crossed!

Also, a small note:
Multiclienting on Aeria's version is restricted. There is an unofficial patch which disables this check; it's not too hard to find. I typically multibox — which is explicitly allowed by Aeria (see bottom post). Thus, I don't run into this problem. However, you might hit this limitation during testing. The Japanese version of the game (found at megatenonline.com) has no such restriction.
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:41 pm

I went ahead and issued a fix for the double-input issue since the solution was exactly as predicted (same issue as the other games), in build 5516 of Inner Space. I may end up just adding a check box for this issue at some point if I can't narrow down the perfect fix. ;)

Build 5516 is now the development build of IS. To try it out, right click IS and select Patcher, check "Download development (test) patches", then close and restart Inner Space.

I'll take a look at the other issue separately, Inner Space can probably solve it without anyone having to patch the game. :)
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:37 pm

Okay, done.

Build 5518 of Inner Space (now development build) will take care of the multi-client restriction, and does so without modifying the game.

Alright, after much research and clarification....

Multiclienting is NOT allowed in Shaiya or Last Chaos, as the GMs from those teams have posted.

Multiclienting IS allowed in Luminary and DoMo, within limits, specifically because you can do so without editing the game client.

The issue is that we cannot legally allow or condone players editing the game client, which you have to do in order to multiclient in Megaten. I'm sorry if this seems like we're just "throwing our ToS around," but it's there for a reason...we're a business, and we have to do what our lawyers tell us. Bad things happen if we don't. Smile

Also, multiboxing is permissible, as it requires no editing of the game client.

There is no legal reason why they have this detection in their product, and it does not require editing the game client to work around. After all, simply using a Virtual Machine is enough to load multiple instances. They rely on a specific behavior of the Operating System, and because Inner Space works by enhancing the Operating System rather than touching the game (in fact Inner Space is technically doing application-level Virtualization), there is no such legal issue with their ToS. I'd love to have a chat with them if they have any questions. ;)

Enjoy :)
<<

aluion

Post Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:49 pm

Thanks! There needs to be a better word to express gratitude. I'm...stunned. I was expecting a week's wait, at the earliest. :shock:

Now, the only issues I'm having are with the mouse. I don't know whether you're having the same problems. The GUI (CTRL+SHIFT+ALT+G) doesn't line up with the cursor. That's easy to work around, though.
More importantly — mouse clicks are only being captured by in-game GUI elements. So, I can click on a menu item, but I cannot click on an NPC or rotate my camera with the right mouse button. Unfortunately, there's no keyboard alternative for this. This means I can't attack or talk to NPCs.

This problem might be due to a misconfiguration on my end, so I'm going to mess with it and see if anything helps. Still, perhaps you'll know of an easy solution. Let me know if you need my config files.

Edit: I managed to fix the cursor misalignment. Or rather, it fixed itself. Not exactly sure how. It might have something to do with window layouts not scaling. Still having issues with clicking on NPCs/rotating camera, however.

lax wrote:There is no legal reason why they have this detection in their product, and it does not require editing the game client to work around. After all, simply using a Virtual Machine is enough to load multiple instances. They rely on a specific behavior of the Operating System, and because Inner Space works by enhancing the Operating System rather than touching the game (in fact Inner Space is technically doing application-level Virtualization), there is no such legal issue with their ToS. I'd love to have a chat with them if they have any questions. ;)

Yes, their policy is essentially "because my lawyer said so." I think the ruling was intended for that specific patch, which does modify the client. I had actually planned to write an alternative method some time ago using a similar technique, but decided to multibox instead. Somehow, you managed to accomplish this in roughly an hour.

I should point out that Aeria does allow multiboxing in any game they publish which does not require client modification. They do apply some interaction restrictions, but that's about it. So, I don't think they would have a problem with anyone using IsBoxer/InnerSpace.
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:28 am

Well, here's what it looks like.
1. The game will not adjust its resolution to the size of the game window
2. The game uses a different interpretation of the cursor for the GUI than the game world

So scaling the game window will be a bad option as far as the mouse goes. I will have to recommend the "Stacked full screen" style of Window Layout, or a layout that otherwise keeps the window size the same as the game is configured for.

Secondly, to go along with that since it might make it hard to see both windows, it is possible to set up interactive picture-in-picture using Video FX ([url=http://isboxer.com/wiki/Common_modifications#Video_FX_alternative_to_Window_Layouts]Common modifications: Video FX Alternative to Window Layouts)

Lastly, while trying to do that myself I noticed there is problems interacting with Inner Space's in-game GUI in this game. That makes it difficult to do the above using the in-game GUI -- it can still be done through Mapped Keys using Video FX Actions, but that is difficult in comparison. So I'll have to check that out
<<

aluion

Post Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:22 pm

Lux wrote:Lastly, while trying to do that myself I noticed there is problems interacting with Inner Space's in-game GUI in this game.

There shouldn't be, as long as you're not using a window layout. What I did was to delete my window layout entirely. InnerSpace's in-game GUI worked fine afterward.
I suppose a stacked full screen window layout (or perhaps a multi-monitor layout?) would have a similar effect.

So the only question is as to whether the second problem regarding mouse targeting is something that can be fixed or worked around.
<<

aluion

Post Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:24 am

Just bumping to say that I edited my post a bit, as the former wording was a bit ambiguous. Also, if anyone reading this is in the wiki group, I wanted to note that the game is spelled "Megaten" (it was misspelled on the patch notes :P ), and the game isn't quite fully supported yet. The game launches, but mouse controls (which are required for NPC interaction, targeting, and some navigation options) remain unavailable. That is, assuming there isn't an obvious workaround that I'm missing.

Editing to respond to last post:
That misspelling is rather common. I've even seen GMs say "Megaton" accidentally. :D

And it's good to hear that the problems are fixable — or at least, that's what I'm gathering from the fact that you're still working on them. :D

I have a few friends interested in this now, and they keep pressuring me for info. Before, the only way to reliably multibox in this game was to...well..do something like this. An ISBoxer/InnerSpace subscription costs a whole lot less — in just the electricity bills alone.
Last edited by aluion on Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:54 pm

Thanks on the misspelling. :)

I'm looking into the remaining issues

Return to Other