League of Extraordinary Multiboxers
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:17 am
Location: Sydney, Australia
You can multibox VG. Here's some information you may find helpful:
- When adding the game in Inner Space, choose Launchpad.exe as the executable. It will be in your main Vanguard directory.
- When running the quick setup wizard, choose Vanguard: Saga of Heroes.
- In your character set, make sure "Make game believe it is the foreground window" is checked. If not, you will get very low FPS on your slaves.
- You will need to log in to each account sequentially through Launchpad after you have launched your character set. Do not tick "Remember me on this computer" or the launchpad will keep trying to log you into the same account. I haven't worked out how to virtualise the necessary file to allow automatically logging in to different accounts.
Otherwise, setup is pretty much the same as other SoE games. I tried using the Station Launcher but was unsuccessful.
So what is VG like to multibox?
I have only 2 boxed so far and only at low levels. Difficulty of boxing is about the same as EQ1. Here are some quick points about the boxing experience:
- /follow works over a long range but is a toggle, which takes some getting used to. This means if you hit follow and then hit it again your slave will stop following. However, combat does not break follow. Follow also requires you to target first.
- /assist works
- the game allows in-game macros but does not have a method of modifying bound keys for macros, so FTL is possible but is going to require a lot of hotbar slots.
- there are a lot of in-game abilities for each class but these can be macroed together into a smaller number of buttons for some classes which have a priority system for abilities
- all classes have combat chains, finishers and reactions but these can be macroed to an extent
- there is little to no PvP except for duels
- group size is 6 and the game is fairly resource hungry. I'm pretty sure I could 4 box on my rig but no so sure about 6.
- if you are the type of person who enjoys the leveling process there is a lot of content to do on the way up
- the UI is only customisable in terms of graphics, layout and very minor functionality changes. Click healing, which relies on a consistent group ordering across group members, does not currently appear possible. Group member cast bars, targets, etc. would need to be created using Video FX rather than in-game features.
- when harvesting, all group members can assist, resulting in better chance of rares and higher yields.
- flying mounts are rentable for 5 minutes at various locations and also available as high level quest rewards but follow seems to be flaky when flying (it appears not to work in the z-axis).
- UI layouts can be saved and loaded in-game so getting your UI identical on all accounts is simple
- fake cursor in repeater target windows (for mouse repeat) works but the background of the graphic is also visible (like it used to be in RIFT) - this is purely cosmetic but I know it annoys some people
- no Interact with target or Click to move but interaction distance and hit boxes are fairly large - melee groups would probably be doable but my first group will be ranged except for the tank
- targeting corpses and looting can be macroed in-game and so is a breeze (no messing around with mouse broadcasting needed)
- there is an option to snap camera behind, so questing using mouse broadcasting is not too troublesome
- no /focus or /targetlasttarget, so I'm not sure how I will handle CC
- most dropped quest items seem to be assigned to each player on the quest and normally drop for multiple group members, so collection quests are not a pain
Anyway, I'm happy to answer questions for anyone interested.